Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A nurse during WW1

TD60

post-6797-1136707560.jpg Here is the photo of my great aunt (I added the colors, I hope it is close from the original).

I have very few details about her except some general info.

She was a nurse during WW1 and she encoutered an american soldier.

They fell in love and ger married soon after war.

They lived in the USA (Baltimore).

However they cannot have children. She died in the 70s.

I have recently few documents concerning her.

From the photo is it possible to know something about her nurse service ?

Was she French red cross american red cross or something else ?

I noticed some details which may give clues (?)

a) The coat is a little strange, I mean complicated: one arm is covered but not the other.

Because of the belts, was a small bag in the back ?

Does someone has any reference, ideas where to search to know more about such uniform.

b ) There is an insigna on the pocket there are probably two letters and something else below.

Could we identify this ?

c) She is wearing a medal . What kind of medal was this ? Were those kind of medals accorded during war or just after ? Is it possible to say this photo cannot have been taken before .....

Last point, she married an american soldier. Is it possible yo know something about him somewhere ?

Service papers or ...

Many thanks to those who can help me. :)

Kind regards :)

Edited by TD60

This is really guessing and I'm willing to be corrected on any of the following :)

I think she is French - or at least working for a French organisation, and is a member of the Société de Secour aux Blessés Militaires - the badge looks like the service badge of the organisation, and as it was commonly known as 'SSBM' that might relate to the letters on the cape badge.

As for the cape - it really is just an ordinary nurses' cape of the period [or indeed any later period]. The picture is posed with one arm out of the side slit, but there would have been a similar slit the other side - necessary for giving easy access for hands and arms when wearing the cape closed. The cross straps came from the inner seam of the shoulders, crossing over the body, and then either buttoning behind the waist, or else to button attachments on the inside side-seams. They prevented it slipping off the shoulders, or getting tossed away in the wind.

I find the white shoes a touch worrying - probably either 'best dress' or indoor uniform - she wouldn't have done much tramping about in muddy fields in those!

Regards

Sue

A lovely photo of a beautiful lady. Im 99% sure its french red cross, the cape (not coat) suggests it. She has one arm through the cape there will be a matching slit on the other side. If you post her name and married name prehaps someone in the states may have some information. Gareth

A lovely photo of a beautiful lady. Im 99% sure its french red cross, the cape (not coat) suggests it. She has one arm through the cape there will be a matching slit on the other side. If you post her name and married name prehaps someone in the states may have some information. Gareth

Thanks Gareth

Her hausband was

Leonard Marshall Bruton.

I have two addresses

a) around 1948 - 1951 she lived at 3905 North Charles Street Baltimore in the Maryland

B ) at least from 1954 to 1966 she was 8130 Loch Raven Boulevard Baltimore

Because all the corresponding enveloppes (empty ones) are adressed to her only, I suppose her hausband was dead then.

Let see if this gives some additional info !

Edited by TD60

I find the white shoes a touch worrying - probably either 'best dress' or indoor uniform - she wouldn't have done much tramping about in muddy fields in those!

Regards

Sue

On the original photo there is the sign of the photographer :

Simonet, 11 rue de Buci, Paris.

It means it is a posed photo in the photograph studio. This explain the charming shoes...

She lived then in Paris.

The photo was probably taken during a period she was at home, maybe at the end of the war, as a souvenir.

I have no idea if she was close to the battlefields or in hospitals at the rear or even in Paris.

Were such medals given as soon as you were member of the SSBM or for good services or after some period of service ?

Regards

Edited by TD60

Regards

Sue

On the original photo there is the sign of the photographer :

Simonet, 11 rue de Buci, Paris.

It means it is a posed photo in the photograph studio. This explain the charming shoes...

She lived then in Paris.

The photo was probably taken during a period she was at home, maybe at the end of the war, as a souvenir.

I have no idea if she was close to the battlefields or in hospitals at the rear or even in Paris.

Were such medals given as soon as you were member of the SSBM or for good services or after some period of service ?