Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S Wales Borderers - Regtl No 66953 T. Corporal Jones

Guest TerryFJ

Hi

I am a newbie on this site (so am apologising in advance!!)

My father was a South Wales borderer, called up for service on 18/10/18. I am looking for his service record, and so far have no leads.

He was discharged in 15/04/20 (Shrewsbury)

I have photograph taken of him in Cologne 1919, made into a postcard he is with three mates. It shows the twin spires of the cathedral and the railway bridge.

his brothers (Peter and Sam) father (Edward) and father -in-law (Albert Price) were also South Wales Borderers.

An information regarding my father George, or other relatives would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Terry Frost Jones

Hello Terry and welcome to the forum.

To say that you have something of a mamoth task ahead of you would be something of an understatement. It would seem that your father was called up too late for overseas service and therefore would not have qualified for any medals...the online MIC facility appears to confirm this.

Only approx 35% of service records survived a bombing raid during WW2 and the ones that did survive are in various states of completeness, these have been microfiched and can be searched at the NA, Kew. Unfortunately these records have not been individually indexed as such and this means that you would have to plough through all the Jones to try to find your relatives. The online MICs show that over 49000 Jones were awarded campaign medals after WW1 so this would mean that to find your fathers record you would have to potentially go through upwards of 16000 records, a mountainous task by anyones standards.

To help you in your search follow this link from the mother site. http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad.htm

The very best of luck

Andy

Hey thanks Andy,

What a shame about the records being lost. I guess I am at the needle in the haystack stage, but will keep searching. I have my fathers discharge papers, with th relevant numbers on, so will beable to confirm any information I find. many thanks for the guidance.

Cheers

Terry