Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

127 Heavy Battery RGA

WASMAN

Hi, trying to research 38271 Sjt T R Hayward RGA 127 Heavy Battery, he won the MM and is listed in the LG 17 July 1917, is there any way of finding out what he may have won his MM for, are there any diaries or records, he was later made 2nd Lieut and then Captain, he died in 1939 at the age of 43, thanks.

Wasman,

Might be of some use 127th(Bristol)Heavy Battery,R.G.A. was raised by Bristol Citizens Recruiting Committee on 1st February 1915 and handed over to the War Office on the 10th October 1915.

On 23rd January 1917 203rd(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. was broken up and it's sections shared amongst 17th(Heavy)Bty, 124th(Hull)Heavy Bty and 127th(Bristol)Heavy Bty, R.G.A.

By November 1918 127th(Bristol)Heavy Bty,R.G.A was serving with 92nd(Mobile)Brigade,R.G.A, Third Army. The Bde consisted of the following units;-

14th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pounder guns.

127th(Bristol)Heavy Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pounder guns.

129th(Bristol)Heavy Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pounder guns.

1/1st(Kent)Heavy Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pounder guns.

Sorry I have no information on service overseas.

Graham.

Hi, just bringing this back to the top, its my first MM group and I would really like to know if Diaries exist for this Battery, if they do how do I access them, many thanks.

Hi, just bringing this back to the top, its my first MM group and I would really like to know if Diaries exist for this Battery, if they do how do I access them, many thanks.

Hi,

The diaries for 127 Heavy Battery RGA can be found at the NA Kew Ref WO95/397 and cover the period Aug 1916- Oct 1916. After that the diaries for the 92nd Brigade RGA can be found under the same reference which normally indicates they are in the same box and cover the period Mar 1917- Mar 1919. Both should be ordered 2/3 days in advance of your visit over the phone or online. This gives plenty of opportunity for the PRO to contact you if they are unavailabe and so prevent a wasted trip. You will need a readers ticket to view them which you can get on the actual day but you must bring some identification ie. passport or driving licence. Suggest you also bring a digital camera

Regards Paul

Archived