Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Painting given to 27 Squadron

johking

Hi there

I was posting earlier about my grandfather Sidney "Crasher" Smith (great help by the way)

I have now purchased Chaz Bowyer's book - The Flying Elephants - and have read about a painting of Crasher's encounter with 3 German scouts which was handed over to 27 Squadron in 1968 by my Uncle Peter along with Crasher's original 'elephant' shield.

In 1969 it was hanging in 27's crew room at RAF Scampton. It would be quite nice to see this painting so I have been looking up RAF Scampton, only to find that it has been since mothballed and that 27 Squadron now exists as a helicopter squadron based in Odiham.

The query is - how can I track down this painting? I can't see any way to get in touch with the RAF site unless

I want a career with them!

If anyone has any bright ideas I would be most grateful

Jo

Jo,

A nice letter to the Commanding Officer 27 Squadron about Sidney and the presentation of the painting explaining you would like to see it. This should bring a response, and let you know where the painting is, it may be in the current mess or storage.

Regards Charles

Jo,

A nice letter to the Commanding Officer 27 Squadron about Sidney and the presentation of the painting explaining you would like to see it. This should bring a response, and let you know where the painting is, it may be in the current mess or storage.

Regards Charles

This Link: http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafodiham/ may point you in the right direction to address your request.

John

Thanks for help chaps.

I also had a sudden thought to try the RAF Museum at Hendon...

I'll let you know if I track it down!

Jo

Jo,

I doubt the RAF Museum will have it, generally this kind of painting will be kept by the Sqn. I served in the RAF for 18 years and normally this kind of thing will be displayed somewhere with the Sqn and most have a small history room etc.

Steve

I doubt the RAF Museum will have it,

Quite right Steve - heard word back today that they have no information.

Also told me they have no known address for 27 Squadron Association... :(

I just wonder that, given that the 27 badge seems to have been passed around a bit, if the painting has got mislaid along the way.

Still - I shall continue to give it a go

Jo

Quite right Steve - heard word back today that they have no information.

Also told me they have no known address for 27 Squadron Association... :(

I just wonder that, given that the 27 badge seems to have been passed around a bit, if the painting has got mislaid along the way.

Still - I shall continue to give it a go

Jo

Jo,

I have sent a Link to this Topic to a current (or very nearly current!) member of this Squadron.

He might even respond if you're lucky!

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest tusker27sqn

Hi Jo

I'm serving on 27 Sqn at present so I will have a look around for the painting. I not at Odiham until mid-April so I will get back to you then.

Thanks

Tusker

Guest tusker27sqn

Also, we are in the middle of setting up a 27 Sqn Association. If you email tusker27sqn@yahoo.co.uk someone will get back to you.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tusker27sqn

I've had a good look round at Odiham and to no avail I'm afraid. I've been informed that there is a small museum in the Ops building at RAF Marham, which may contain some memorabilia from 27 Sqn's earlier years. They may be worth contacting...

Tusker

Jo,

In the light of Tusker's response, here are contact details for RAF Marham's PRO:

http://www.rafmarham.co.uk/relations/relations.htm

He's a decent chap, so a polite 'phone call should easily get him to have a look for you!

Best of luck,

John