Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. Alexander Forbes - Royal Scots

Ian grant

Hi All,

Thanks for all the help Re. Thomas Grant, if i can pick your brains i have another query regarding my great Uncle Pte. Alexander Forbes, unlike my Grandfather i have his service records which actually survived in very good condition compared to some, and with what i have from his home town newspaper, i'm not likley to find out much more on him. However on his Statement of the Services form and on his Casualty Active Service form it states that on the 17 feb 1917 he was ' Granted Prof Pay Class II ' i assume this was an increase in pay for attaining some Skill, but i have never been able to find out what Profficiency pay class 2 would have been awarded for, if anyone knows or has suggestions i'd appreciate your help. As a matter of interest by the 17th feb 1917 he was in Hospital in Bethnal Green, London with a GSW to his left leg, having been wounded on the 5th Feb 1917, and was transported to England on the H.S. Stad Antwerpen on the 12th Feb 1917. His Casualty active Service Form gives only ' in the field ' as the place he recieved the wound, But the war diary for the 5th Royal Scots states they were at Bertrancourt on that date. He was returned to active service and posted back to the BEF on the 8th aug 1917, this time with the 13th Royal Scots, just over a month later on the 13th Sept 1917 he was KIA at Roeux Nr. Arras

Regards Ian