Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Narrow Guage Railways

Tim Birch

Narrow guage railways were used extensively by both sides on the Western Front. During a visit to the Somme area earlier this month we went to have a quick shufti at the Narrow Guage Railway Museum at Froissy a couple of miles south of Bray-sur-Somme.

It has a fascinating collection with quite a lot of WW1 exhibits. The Staff are most welcoming. Unfortunately we arrived too late in the day to go on a train ride, but it would be a great destination for Forum members with children/long suffering other halfs in tow. Something for the youngsters to look forward to after spending time trooping round "boring old battlefields".

Older "children" might also find it interesting.

Tim

Yes, it does make for an interesting afternoon, and you get a reasonably long ride for your fare.

Out of interest my Grandfather was in RE and is shown as being an Engine Driver

(Field) from 15/7/14 and then an Engine Drive (Field) Supervisor 11/615.

He was in France from 1915 to 1919 but never been able to find out where. I love the Somme area and hope one day to find he was there.

Anyone know how to find out if he was there or where he was?

• 4 weeks later...

if anyone would be intrested a lil closer to home in waltham abbey we have one which is being rebuild. we have 3 which we have been givern by the arsenal in london.

The objective of Alvin York and his party in the Argonne Forest October 8, 1918, a day that brought him world fame was a Decauville Railroad. I used to think that was a place but it's a type of narrow gauge that was used all over the western front.

Those in Oz can also see a Narrow Gauge train. It's not on public display, but if you ask nicely - as I did - the AWM has a massive collection of vehicles, weapons, and planes in their stores.