Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great Uncle John Taylor

Keith Kendall

I have been aware of this ancestor for some time but up until now have been unable to find sufficent detail to make any meaninful searches there bing far too many J and John Taylors listed to download them all.

I have recently been contacted by a distant cousin who provided the following information.

"John Taylor was a private with 1st Battalion Essex Regiment. He landed at Gallipoli with 1st Essex on the 25th April 1945, he was wounded in May of that year. After recovering from his wounds he returned to his unit and served until some time after 1918"

I have downloaded his MIC.

post-7097-1136657143.jpg

I only have limited knowledge of such things, based on reading some of the expert replies in this forum, but the information on his card seems to contradict what I have been told.

It seems he first joined the R Fus (I assume this to be Royal Fussiliers) with s service number of 8/176 - not sure what this means - before he was transfered to Essex Regiment with a number of 31222 - no mention of which batallion. The cards seems to indicate that he did not serve in Gallipoli as his first entry to a theatre of war was France on 1.6.1915.

Can any of the expert pals help please!!!

Thanks

Keith

He seems to have served with the 8th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers, for 1 June was the day they landed in France. Are you sure the MIC relates to the right man?

He seems to have served with the 8th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers, for 1 June was the day they landed in France. Are you sure the MIC relates to the right man?

Hi Chris

Thanks

I was begining to wonder that myself. If the narrative from my cousin re Gallipoli is correct - which knowing what verbal family history is like I tend to believe that rather than his "service number". That being the case then he must have the wrong service number for our man who will be one of the numerous J or John Taylors in the NA records.

Seems it'ss back to the drawing board.

Just wanted to get some soundings before spending more of my hard earned ££££s.

Incidently did you see my post regarding the size of the PDF file I dowmloaded from NA (310KB)?

In the end I had to print it, then scan it to reduce it to a small enough size to post on the forum.

Previous downloads from NA have been about (139KB)

Thanks

Keith

Edited by Keith Kendall

Sorry Pals and thanks Chris

I have checked NA again and found this one, which I am sure tallies with the information I have been given re Gallipoli.

What are the odds of 2 J Taylors, both with connections to the Essex Regiment one with a number 8/176 and the other with a number 8176??

post-7097-1136661228.jpg

Anyway back to the original question. Can anyone kindly let me have any more drtails for my man?

Thanks and sorry for the initial red herring, that will teach me to got off half cocked

Thanks again

Keith

connections to the Essex Regiment one with a number 8/176 and the other with a number 8176??

Happy to be corrected, but I was under the impression that the "8/" prefix denotes New Zealand EF. :unsure:

I was just wondering about the Essex connection.

Mark.