Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st/4th Oxf and Bucks Light Infantry

Thomas

Just after christmas I bought in a second hand bookshop a 1925 published cemetary register for Bray Military Cemetery in it was a a photo of the grave of Private H Riley 203679 of the 1st/4th Oxf and Bucks light infantry sent by request from the Director of Graves Registration and Enquiries. There was also a receipt from the IWGC in the register thanking an L. Riley for paying 3s for the register.

I was wondering if any chaps out there had information on the unit and what were they doing on the 27 March 1917 in the Bray area the date which Private Riley died, any other information on the 1st/4th Oxf and Bucks would also be appreciated.]

Thanks in advance

from,

Thomas McCall

Graham H Greenwell published a book of letters - "An Infant in Arms", relating his service with 1/4 Ox & Bucks.

A letter to his mum, dated 28th March, from Tincourt, starts: "I must now tell you about my great battle - a real battle all to myself with cavalry and armoured cars, the greatest fun in the world and a howling success"

The batt were part of the advance follwoing-up the german withdrawal, and had stopped in front of the village of Roisel, which was screened by Imdian Cavalry and cyclists. Greenwell's comment is that he decided his company could capture it; an attack was planned for the 28th, but he thought his men could do it quickly. He spoke to the cavalry commander: "I suggested that we should take the Bosche village in front of us at which his Hindoos were gazing rather longingly. This somewhat took his breath away, but I said that I had one hundred and fifty men who wanted to do something quick, and that if he liked to help, so much the better."

To cut a long story short, Greenwell cleared it with his CO, and an attack took place with two companies of infantry and a squadron of cavalry on either flank to sweep behin the village. In addition, four "armoured motor cars had turned up simply bursting with energy."

The village was taken and held for 24 hours until they were relieved. "IThe men are thoroughly pleased with themselves. It was a most amusing little show and everyone was delighted."

I suppose the War Diary might tell you more, but how's that for starters?

That's excellent thanks for your help.

In the War Record of the 1/4th, Pte.W Riley 203679 (not R according to this) of B company was wounded 26/3/17 and died the following day;buried in Bray Cemetary.

Nick

Further to the above, A and B companies carried out a 'scheduled attack on ROISEL' east of Bray.

Nick

Methinks Mr Greenwell 'talked up' his exploits a bit for his mater ;)

I'd like to thank you chaps for the excellent information you've given me but could you give me the casualties figures for the attack on Roisel by 'A' ans 'B' Companies.

Roisel casualties from 25 march '17 to 26 march number 3 men. pte Mapson, pte Fowler and pte Summers. Not counting pte Riley.

From Maj Pickford- War record 1/4 OBLI-1919 Banbury Guardian press

Hope that helps. the book only states what has been stated i prvious replies as to what happened.

Gordon.