Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ss polesley

Stuart Roper

I am tracking a local man who died on this vessel. Like others on this ship, his date of death is shown on the cwgc as 21/09/18, the story of its sinking always states that it was sunk just after midnight on the 22nd?

Can anyone help with this or is it a simple case of some disagreement over timing?

Stuart,

Extract from British Vessels lost at sea,

Polesley, 4,221grt, defensively-armed, 21 September 1918, 1 mile North from Pendeen LH, torpedoed without warning and sunk by submarine, 43 lives lost including Master

Regards Charles

Hello

One consideration.

Germany was on Greenwich Mean Time + 1 and the UK was on GMT. This makes a German attack at 11:00 PM on a day by GMT, midnight by GMT + 1, etc, etc. I bring this up because, it frequently causes confusion in WW II reports.

All best

don

Stuart,

Polesley was torpedoed and sunk by UB 88. I suspect the time issue comes from the source. British sources have the sinking on the 21st. German sources, based ultimately upon the submarine's war diary, give the sinking on the 22nd. And German time was an hour ahead of British time.

Best wishes,

Michael

Thank you folks, just what this forum is for. A simple explanation given to clear up my query and expose my total lack of knowledge of the war at sea, thank you very much.

Kind regards

Stuart Roper