Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What happend here? Help!

Rupert

Any pals wish to speculate on this question? I've my Grandad's medal sheet in front of me. He is listed as:

MASON Jacob

Northumberland Fusiliers

Pte 19/1821

In the Medals list, after the VICTORY under 'Roll.' is written : 0/1/105B(?)3

The BRITISH and STAR have nothing.

But here's the weird part. under REMARKS is noted:

Due or Dire or Dise ? 392 XII Desertion 17/06/19.

Desertion! I'ts well known in the family that he fought like a Trojan throughout the entire war, from day one.

Why 1919? Couldn't he have simply demobilised like all the other ranks? Was he sent to Germany on occupation duty and simply 'buggered off' (excuse my French)? It's a question that's always perplexed me as I grew up in Australia and only saw him on his death bed in Newcastle when I was in my teens on a visit.

So I knew virtually nothing about him apart from what my mother told me. Apparently he stated working the mines at 14, joined the ranks for the duration, married my grandmother afterwards and became a chronic alcoholic. He passed away in the seventies. His best mate from the trenches was run over and killed by a bus in South Shields. None of my family know of any medals or souvenirs that exist. Neither any service photos.

My question is I suppose, how does a man desert in peacetime after putting up with the Somme and

Passeandaele? And does any Pals know anthing of his Battalion?

Many thanks.

The absence of a code under the Star just means he did not go to France before 1916.

The absence of a code under the BWM - is there a mark that could be a ditto? - means nothing either as the BWM and Victory Medal roll are one and the same.

The "Dire"/"Dise" will actually be "Disc", for "Discharged".

19th NF was a Pioneer battalion, part of 35th Division. See http://www.1914-1918.net/35div.htm

Desertion in 1919 - not uncommon. Many men got very frustrated waiting for discharge, especially once back in England.

Rubert there is a book about the battalion.

Historical records of the 19th Service Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers (Pioneers)

Artuor: Cooke, C.H

John.

Thankyou Chris. Much appreciated. There is indeed a 'ditto' on the BRITISH. However because of the desertion, would he have recieved the medals? And I didn't know he didn't fight until 1916. I suppose the passage of time meant my mother got the dates wrong. She idolised him so I've kept this information to myself. On his retirement from the mines he recieved 22 British Pounds and an indifferent handshake for his efforts. I remember when I saw him in hospital around 1973 I was appalled at the amount of scars on his body. What price service for your country eh?

Again, many thanks.