Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pre-war Hockey Uniform

Broznitsky

Blaine Sexton was an important early hockey figure, especially in England and Europe. But in 1912, playing for the Windsor (ON) Swastikas, he wore this uniform!

It was that funny little Austrian who hi-jacked this symbol after the war.

post-8-1062092286.jpg

I bet he was an easy present on his birthday, "there you go son a nice woolley jumper and long socks to match"

Love to see Domi skating around in that get up, it would take about three seconds to wind him up. Come to think off it if they did it in a nice little pink number perhaps Ian could borrow it for the Pro visits.

dont worry peter it'll soon be drop puck time!

Arm.

PS this year it'll be the Blues turn to lift the cup :blink:

It was that funny little Austrian who hi-jacked this symbol after the war.

Broznitsky,

Your right about the swastika symbol being hi-jacked after the war

Up to about 1910 it was generally seen as a good luck symbol

It was quite a common emblem on both French and German WWI planes

and was used by, amongst others, the German-Jewish pilot Fritz Beckhardt

The ASC's 566 company had something called a Chinese swastika as its symbol

Gen Monash also used this sign; see his letter of 15 Mar 18

"All corps and divisions have conventional signs to be used as marks on vehicles, baggage, billets etc........My sign is the swastika."

Regards

Michael D.R.

I have seen a turn of the century photo of a Womans sports team wearing the same symbol. They were also from Ontario, however I cannot remember if they played ice or field Hockey . There is also a town somewhat north of where I live called Swastika. I am surprised that the town did not change it's name during WW2, during WW1 Berlin Ontario changed it's name to Kitchener although it had a large German population. ( the Octoberfest is still held there)

Dean Owen

Whitby Ontario

I think the swastika was historically an Indian/Asian good luck symbol. One of Kipling's publishers used it on the covering of his books arpung 1900. I had originally believed the Nazi party had reversed the swastika for their purposes but I have seen it in both a "reversed" and "unreversed" version predating the formation of the Nazi party.

I am wrong (usually are according to her that must be obeyed) but does the symbol have something to do with the Roman empire as i believe the salute does ..Hail Ceasar etc.

Arm.

I didnt just mean the spoken salute but the arm shooting out as it is said, not quiet as high as the Nazi salute but still an imitation?

Arm.

I think the swastika was historically an Indian/Asian good luck symbol.  One of Kipling's publishers used it on the covering of his books arpung 1900.  I had originally believed the Nazi party had reversed the swastika for their purposes but I have seen it in both a "reversed" and "unreversed" version predating the formation of the Nazi party.

Both the 6th Indian Cavalry Brigade and the Euphraties Defences used the Swastika as emblems in the Great War.

According to my Players ciggy cards, the Swastica represents the sun and was used by early Aryan peoples.

It is a common sign in Asia and is found in architecture and art. The temple opposite where I lived in Vietnam had giant Swastica emblems on its gates.

Cheers