Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death payments!

MParnham

We have just inherited all the surviving documents etc regarding my wife’s grandfathers 2 brothers. They were killed within 3 months of each other in 1915.

A curious fact has emerged regarding the financial settlement of each of them.

One brother held a permanent commission (2nd Lieut) in the Ox and Bucks Light Infantry – on his death some £11.8.3 were payable in arrears of field, lodging, fuel and light allowance - together with 3s 8d found on him.

His younger brother held a commission (2nd Lieut) in the special reserve and was serving in the R.F.A. Upon his death a large gratuity was credited to him (£57). According to a letter from the war office this was payable under article 497 of the royal warrant for pay.

Does anyone know anything about these payments? There father was not expecting it - and he thought there was some element of ‘unfairness’ in the differential amounts due to each of them. I can see his point of view, was it a way of persuading men to volunteer for the special reserve? Was there more widespread resentment within the army about these differences?

Martin

Special Reserve Officers and retired officers recalled for service, were entitled to a gratuity provided they fell within the terms of the previous article, 496. which included "officers of the Special Reserve of Officers and Territorial Force employed with OUr Regular Army..."

Referring to the gratuity, the relevent part of 497 says:

a. In the case of an officer who retired with retired pay or gratuity, [he received - my parenthises] 31 days pay for each year of service or any part of a year.

b. In the case of any other officers, 124 days pay for the first year of service, or any part of a year, and 62 days pay for each subsequent year of service or part of a year.

I guess your man fell into the second part.

Terry Reeves

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Thank you for this Terry - it certainly clears up the mystery.

Perhaps those with a permanent commission 'made up' for the lack of a lump sum payment in other ways - a pension for example?

Martin