Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Frank M. Dick, Sherwood Foresters

dave ricketts

Can anyone help with info on this officer's career? Looks to me from the London Gazette that he was a pre-war Territorial. I think he was awarded the M.C. but haven't been able to make the Gazette search engine spit him out.

Thanks,

Dave

This would be Captain Frank Mackenzie Dick. The name's not familiar to me but I'll look into it.

Looks like a Birthday Honours MC. Probably no Citation in the Gazette.

London Gazette 4-6-1917

Capt. Francis Mackenzie Dick, Notts. & Derby. R.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Steve.

15.6.17 newspaper Derby Mercury

Under the heading Military Cross Winners.

"Captain Dick who has been wounded is now at home on light duties , and is Adjutant of the 2nd battalion Derbyshire Volunteers. Before the war he was assistant engineer to the Staveley Company."

Stuart

So I wonder who he was with at the time of wounding and when it happened? He will almost certainly get a mention in one the relevant war diary. I can rule out the 10th Battalion for certain as I've got a comlpete listing of every officer mentioned in the war diaries. I'll trawl the 9th battalion's diaries at some point this evening for any clues.

Same paper but 14.7.16......

"Captain F.M.Dick held a commission in the Derbyshire Territorials for two years prior to the outbreak of war and was given command of his company in October 1914".

Appears that he was 1/6th NDR as he is listed in the MC winners in Cliff Housley's "Men of the High Peak." LG 4.6.17

Stebie is correct concerning Birthday Honours ....

"The following local officers appear in the second instalment of military decorations which is published on Tuesday in connection with the King's Birthday Honours List for distinguished service in the field"

Cpt FM DIck

Stuart

Housley's "Gallantry Awards" states the following:-

Dick, Frank Mackenzie: Capt: 6th and 1/5th Battalion: London Gazette, 4.6.17, On 1.7.16 in the attack by 139th Inf Brigade, this officer led the leading platoon of his carrying Company over the parapet of the old front line trench, following the carrying Company of the assaulting Battalion (7th Sherwoods). There was a heavy barrage and rifle fire. Just past the wire he was wounded and most of his men were hit. He crawled back into the trench and for two hours carried on with the orders and materially assisted to restore order in the fire trench. Throughout the whole of his service in the field (13 months) he has rendered most valuable service.

There is a photograph - appears to have been cropped from a photograph of a unit's officers.

Not a great picture but this is Capt Dick, later a Colonel of the Regiment (see Christmas Card scan)

cheers

Mike

post-4619-1136725264.jpgpost-4619-1136725275.jpg

should also add:-

"At 8.45 a.m. the right of the Company ["A" Coy] endeavoured to advance up No 3 sap and "C" C.T. The Barrage was very heavy . . . . . . there were many casualties and the men withdrew for shelter to the saps and other trenches. The same thing happened on my left when my "B" Coy was kept back by the 7th Carrying party. Capt F.M. Dick Commanding my Company was hit in the leg as soon as he got over the parapet and his Coy Sergt Major (160158 C.S.M Goddard) was killed at his side. The survivors accordingly took cover."

hope that helps

Mike

Well done Mike.

Another high score for the Sherwood Forester Pals methinks!

Gents,

What can I say, other than thanks very much indeed. My interest is that he was detached to the East Midlands area (Notts, Leics and Derbys), after his period as Adjutant of the Derbyshire Volunteers, to oversee training of the area's Volunteer Regiments, and was with the Leicestershire units in mid 1918.

Cheers to one and all.

Dave