Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

23rd Bn. Manchester Regiment

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

Does anyone have any info on the above unit during Feb. 1916. They had just started being attached to units in the line to get them used to trench life. I am interested to know where they were and to which units they were attached. Also how 2nd Lt. William Reid and Pte Martin Cunningham became wounded. They both died of their wounds and were, I think the first to die in that battalion in France.

Thanks for looking.

Stewart

Hi Stewart

The 23 Batt WD is not a very good one as there are only 66 pages from 1915-1918 so its hit & miss from info . Pte M. Cunningham born Manchester join in Manchester, 22179 d o w 25/2/16. Reid, William Morison, 2/Lt. (tp), d o w 26/2/16.

Hello,

Thanks for the information. Do you have a copy of the war diary, or know which unit they were attached to during thier induction ? Any info. would be great.

Regards

Stewart

Stewart.

They had just been pulled out of the line at Richebourg St.Vaast (Bethune sector) a day or so before your men's deaths. Uncertain of the unit they were attached to?

Dave.

:) Thanks,

That narrows it down a bit. If I can find out which unit they were attached to, there might just be something in their War Diary.

Regards,

Stewart

:) Thanks,

That narrows it down a bit. If I can find out which unit they were attached to, there might just be something in their War Diary.

Regards,

Stewart

i'm struggling to read my copy but would i suspect it says the 13th Welsh, does that make any sense?

chris

i'm struggling to read my copy but would i suspect it says the 13th Welsh, does that make any sense?

chris

Very possible. The 38th Division was in the area that encompasses the Bethune front at this time.

Dave.

:) Hello,

Sounds very possible. I will try and see if anyone has their war diary, you never know ?

Regards,

Stewart

Sounds very possible. I will try and see if anyone has their war diary, you never know ?

Regards,

Stewart

well i've had another look but i'm struggling to read the writing, the last entry for feb seems to read:-

marched to LE TOURET the mens ....... boots in very bad condition, many men unable to march in .......... reference ordance map BETHAUNE edition(?) ( and what looks like a map reference)

X coy .......... (looks like forwarded) in trenches for instruction with 13th welsh, who had re........ sector S15. Y coy forwarded (?) in trenches for instruction with 14th welsh who re....... sector S 10 to S15 to our battalion

best i can do i'm afraid

chris

Thanks for taking the time to look at the Diary. Is there any mention of 2 Lt Reid being wounded ? I know he was taken to the 2nd London CCS, where he died. I've a photo of him somewhere, I'll dig it out and post it tomorrow.

Thanks

Stewart

Thanks for taking the time to look at the Diary. Is there any mention of 2 Lt Reid being wounded ? I know he was taken to the 2nd London CCS, where he died. I've a photo of him somewhere, I'll dig it out and post it tomorrow.

Thanks

Stewart

sorry stewart,

as monsstar says, it's very thin on information, the diary seems to have been written as an afterthought

:( Oh well,

Thanks for double checking. It's one less thing of my list to check.

It may be of interest, but 2/Lt William M Reid was on attachement to the 23rd Bn from the 22nd Bn. At the start of the war he was in Vienna, and according to a press report, had a job getting back to the UK. He is also listed as a German speaker. That would probably have come in handy.

I will try and see if the 13th Welsh have anything in their diary. I suppose ther might be something in his Brigade Diary.

Regards,

Stewart