Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two DSO Citation Lookups

Ciaran Byrne

Can anyone help me with two DSO citation lookups please.

One is for Major Herbert Alexander Cape 5th Lancers

The other is Lieutenant Hon. Herbrand Charles Alexander 5th Lancers

Both were awarded the DSO relatively early in the war so I do not think these are New Years honours awards. Any help greatly appreciated.

There is a Herbert ANDERSON Cape per the MICs, Ciaran.

London Gazette 26-7-1918

Maj. (T./Lt.-Col.) Herbert Anderson Cape, Lrs.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. At a critical time he displayed remarkable coolness and skill in organising defences. His fine example stimulated all ranks.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

The surrounding DSOs talk of counter-attacks and rearguards so probably won from 21-3-18 onwards.

Steve.

Cheers Steve,

That sounds about right. He was wounded during the German Offensive of 1918 and on 21st March took command of a contingent of KRRC, Somerset Light Infantry and Scottish Rifles.

I think the other DSO was won in 1914 but cannot for the life of me find a citation for it.

Edited by Ciaran Byrne

O'Moore Creagh: "Alexander, the Honourable Herbrand Charles, Capt (b 28.11.88) 5th (Royal irish) Lancers - 1.6.15 Gazette Has done exceedingly good work in action and in reconnaissance since the commencement of the war."

Excellent, Cheers Steven, my life is now complete. :)

Excellent, Cheers Steven, my life is now complete. :)

Gosh. You must be easily pleased. I'd need at least an MG Midget to be able to say that :D

Actually, Ciaran, I can make your life possibly even completer. Both men are in Who's Who (1928).

Maj The Hon Herbrand Charles Alexander was son and heir-presumptive of the 5th Earl of Caledon. Born 28.11.88, married 1919 Millicent Valla (whom he divorced in 1926). One son. Educ Harrow and RMC, 5th lancers 1909. Address Tilshead House, Tilshead, Wilts.

Lt Col Herbert Anderson Cape has a big entry - this is a synopsis: b 18.7.72, married, 2 daughters. Educ Charterhouse, 2nd Lt 18 Hussars, 1894, Capt 1904, Major, 5th Lancers 1907. ADC to Fd Marshall Sir george White, VC, Governor General of Gibraltar, 1909, Bde Major, Highland Mounted bde 1912-15, retired pay 1922. Served S Africa, 1899 (wounded at Talana Hill). Address Westow Hall, York. Recreations, Huntin. Shootin' Fishin' Polo.

Happy?

Thanks Steve,

I had seen the info about Alexander before but the information on Cape is most welcome.

Once again Thanks mate!