Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA Signal Training at LOCHEND Camp, 1917...

Chief_Chum

A local lady dropped these two photographs of her grandfather off to me yesterday and asked if I could find out anything about him or where he was training.

He is a Gunner with the Royal Garrison Artillery as can be seen by the fact he is wearing Service Dress trousers instead of breeches but there is no other clue as to which Battery he was attached to.

Can any of you tell me anything about Lochend Camp where the second photograph, of the men in 'Hut 13', was taken in 1917?

Cheers,

Taff

post-1565-1136614265.jpg

post-1565-1136614284.jpg

One possibility is the Lochend area of Edinburgh down near Portobello. The area could now be Craigentinny Golf Course or Hawkhill recreation ground. Just a possibility though! There may be ' Lochend ' in other Cities/areas.

Aye

Malcolm

Hello,

Signal training for the RGA, an interesting topic. Control of gun fire by RFC developed to a great extent during the war. I believe the ground wireless stations were manned by RFC signallers and assume that the link between them and the various Brigades of the RGA were manned by RGA signallers. I have no idea of the training given to such signallers, but there must have been quite large numbers of them and formal training in UK would have been necessary. Perhaps someone has some detail. I would like to share it.

Old Tom