Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Books of Remembrance

Terry

To those Pals who are aware of this service, forgive me, but others might find it useful. The Canadian Department of Veterans Affairs and the House of Commons offer a very nice free memorial if you have medals to deceased Canadian or Newfoundland service personnel in your collection, or if you have a relative who died.

Go to www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?source=collections/books and find the Order Page. Fill out the required details and e-mail them to the department and you will receive a nice letter from the Sergeant-at-Arms for the House of Commons plus a full colour copy of the appropriate page in the Books of Remembrance, showing your man's name enscribed.

All in all a wonderful memorial to the sacrifice this individual made, and surprising in these days, there is no fee involved.

Hi Terry:

You've got to admit, our federal government has gone the full nine yards in honouring our war dead. This is another service that I'm more than happy seeing my tax dollars supporting.

I've had the opportunity to watch (CPAC channel on TV) the moving ceremony were a page of the Book of Remembrance is turned. I'm not sure if this is a daily or weekly event. Any idea how often this is done?

Garth

As I recall, every morning of every year a page is turned.

As I will be studying in Ottawa for 5 weeks out of the next 9, I hope to get a look at this, take photos of the War Memorial, visit the new War Museum, and (-tremble-) visit the NAC in person.

Peter (drooling at thought, wife musn't see, furtively wiping mouth!)