Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Hugh Carrigan Cameronians help please

hudggy

I know that my grand fathers younger brother Hugh Carrigan Aged 20 buried at B/ 7217 2nd Bat Camerions Scottish Rifles KIA 18 July 1916 France Buried Cambrin Churchyard Extension Pas De Calais.

I have his death certificate but do not kown where or how he died only states KIA. Is there any way to find out more about what happened to Hugh. The age on the certificate might be wrong for I was led to believe that Hugh ran away and signed up in Hamilton because he was under age.

Thanking anyone who can help in advance.

Hudggy

Surname CARRIGAN

Firstname H

Service Number 7217

Date Death 18/07/1916

Decoration

Place of birth Glasgow

Other 2nd Bn.

SNWM roll THE CAMERONIANS (SCOTTISH RIFLES)

Rank Pte

Theatre of death France.

A look at the War diary entry should give some clue to what happened.

Aye

Malcolm

nice Avatar :)

Hudggy

He enlisted in Hamilton and was born in Barony Glasgow and is listed as having lived in Glasgow.

According to the regimental history

The 2nd Battalion moved into the trenches immediately south of the La Basse Canal on the night of the 14th/15th of July, taking over from the 13th Royal Sussex.

The distance between the lines was about 100 yards and No Mans land was pitted with shell holes and a number of mine crater holes mostly touching each other.

A mine was exploded by the British on the morning of the 17th and that night two bombing parties under Lt McLellan and 2nd Lt Otto secured the near lip with little loss but due to heavy enemy mortar fire they could not conslidate the position.

On the night of the 18th of July two German bombing parties attempted to rush two sapheads held by men of the 2nd Battalion. Two men were severly wounded by grenades, nevertheless one of the wounded men, 18820 Pte F.J.Thompson, though hit in three places caught one of the three Germans and brought him in as a prisoner. He was identified as coming from the 242nd Regiment. Thompson died of his wounds on the 27th and was posthumously awarded the DCM.

On this occasion 5 men were killed and 5 were wounded of which Thompson died later.

One of these men would be Private Carrigan

Hope this helps

Hambo

Thanks For the information lads it will all help to give some history to Hugh's short life . As I am doing the family history genealogy now all his family living now and still to come will know what he gave for their freedom.

Robert Carrigan

Hudggy