Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Bn Essex Regt

andy1400

Would anyone be able to tell me what the 4th Bn Essex Regt were doing on 26/03/1917. The man I am researching Sidney Smith was killed on this day. My grandfather was with the 5th Bn, I believe they were all in the same Brigade.

Any information appreciated.

Andy

1/4 Essex were in Palestine, as part of 161 Bde, 54 (E Anglian) Div.They were involved in the First Battle of Gaza, but I know no more, I'm afraid. I don't think it was a success.

It wasn't a success. After a delay, the infantry attempted to attack Gaza from the front while mounted troops including light horsemen attempted to get round the landward flank and the rear of the town, as well as protect the British right flank. The Gaza garrison fought well, protected by entrenchments and thick cactus hedges. The imminent arrival of Turkish reinforcements, in combination with the problems of getting water for the mounted troops, caused the British commander to fall back.

Robert

Hi Andy,

Very high casualties. The Turkish Machine Guns were particularly well positioned and difficult to neutralise that day. However, most casualties were suffered when the 161st Brigade indeed decided to withdraw.

Burrows, Essex Units in the War 1914 – 1919, Volume 5, Essex Territorial Infantry Brigade, pages 169 & 170. Specifically the 4th Bn. on 26 March 1917:

post-2017-1136638784.jpg

post-2017-1136638798.jpg

Cheers, Michael

When I said it wasn't a success, I didn't realise quite what a dog's breakfast it was!

Thanks for the information.

Very much appreciated.

Andy