Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Garrison Artillery

Guest SooCatt

I know this is a long shot but my Father-in-law (Albert)would love to find out about Battery Sergeant Musk of the Royal Garrison Artillery. Albert's uncle, Samuel Handley, was killed 19.7.1917 in Flanders and Albert remembers his Grandmother (Sam's mum) having a letter from a Battery Sergeant MUSK telling her how he had carried Sam to a casualty clearing station but unfortunatley Sam had died before he reached it. The letter obviously made an impression on Albert because even though the letter no longer exists (so far as we know) he remembers a lot of the detail from it.

Albert would dearly love to know more of Battery Sergeant Musk and whether or not he made it through the war.

I have looked on the CWGC site and there is a Sergeant Musk of the Royal Garrison Artillery who was killed in 1919. Is Battery Sergeant the same as Sergeant and even if it is how do I know if this is the same person who tried to save Gt Uncle Sam?

I would appreciate any information or advice on how to find out more.

Thank you

Susan

I think you would need to try and find out as much as possible about the units the two men served in, if they served in the same unit, or served in the same place at the same time, then it is possible that it will be the same person.

Check the Medal Index Cards for you Sjt Musk, if there are more than one for the RGA then it may not neccessarily be him on the CWGC.

Have a look at the Long Long Trail site to get info on where to start your research, use the same method for both and hopefully you will come up with something.

Good luck,

Barrie

Susan,

Samuel was in the 21st Heavy Battery Royal Garrison artillery the man that carried him is likely to be

Sergeant William A Musk Military Medal 278729/ SR/3129 Royal Garrison Artillery

21st Heavy Battery. Who was KIA in 1919.

Someone may be able to give you more information on 21st Battery or Williams MM.

Regards Charles

Sorry Barrie just done it.

Thanks Barrie and Charles

I'm pretty sure that Sgt Musk of the 21st Hvy Bty is the right one since Gt Uncle Samuel was also 21st Hvy Bty.

I noted that Sgt Musk was was killed in action in 1919? Forgive me but Military History is not my strong point <_< and I don't understand how he was KIA the year after the war ended. Could you clarify this at all for me?

Also following a visit to the Long Long Trail site recommended by Barrie I looked Sgt Musk up in the Gazette. I found his Military Medal announcement in the supplement on February 11th 1919, just two days before he died (according to the CWGC site) and it says "278729 Sjt Musk W A 21st Hvy By. (Kingston on Thames)". Can you tell me if the Kingston on Thames refers to his own origin or is it something to do with the regiment?

Thank you again

Susan

On the CWGC site he is shown as buried in Norwich. Stranger still.

Probably an easy explanation and I'm sure that somebody will find it.

I have checked on the National Archives medal cards index and there are 3 Musk's in the Royal Garrison Artillery listed - a Gunner, aBombadier, and a Serjeant.

Do you think I would be safe to assume that the Serjeant (who is the W A Musk mentioned earlier) is the right one? Given that they were both in 21 Hvy By. ??

Would appreciate your opinions.

Susan

Edited by SooCatt

According to Soldiers Died in the Great War, Sgt William Albert Musk RGA, died of wounds at home on 13.02.19. He was born St Martins, Norwich and enlisted in Norwich. It may be that one of the local newspapers carried some information about him.

Terry Reeves

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Susan

There is a death certificate for a William A Musk, age 30. The reference is:

Quarter: Jan, Feb, Mar 1919

District: Slofield

Volume: 4b

Page: 324

It should give some more details of how and where he died. You can, if you wish, for £7.00 order a copy on-line from here.

Regards

Mark

Susan,

I would suspect William is your man, both William and Samuel where in the Special Reserve so trained men at the begining of the war. If you gamble your 3.50 it is likley you will get all of the Musks as you get 6 cards?.

William has two cards; get this one as it will give more details,

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=5

You have the detail on the other one IE his gazette date for the Millitary Medal.

Hope this helps Charles

both William and Samuel where in the Special Reserve so trained men at the begining of the war.

Charles, How do you know this? I knew that Samuel had been in the military before because on the 1901 cencus he was at Warley Barracks in Essex. Though he left and moved back up to Yorkshire and was a miner for a time. But how did you find out that they were both in the Special Reserve?

Thank you for all your help

Susan