Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/5th South Lancs

Guest carlT

Hello,

I,m trying to find out where the 1/5th South Lancs were in April 1918, and what they were doing.

the reason being my Gt Uncle Sgt Thomas Taylor, reg no, 14505 was killed 13th April 1918. if Ste reads this we discussed Thomas last March but I wasn,t sure when he died. He enlisted in Penarth, South Wales, in 1915 and received the MM, listed in the Gazette 28 july 1917. Would you assume from that it was awarded 2/3 months prior to the Gazette date.

A letter to his Family from his Captain said:'he was an exceptional N.C.O., quite the best Platoon Sergeant I ever had. His work with the Division was quite outstanding,and he would have certainly been recommended for further decoration had he lived.Whilst sitting in his trench he was killed instantly, by a shell blowing a trench upon him.

For me that really brings him to life, his Brother-my Grandfather, always said a whizzbang hit him on the head, I suppose the shell or morter caught him and the trench at the same time. from that extract I feel I know him more than ever before?

If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Carl Taylor

to add a family story was that he may have been decorated by France would this show up on his record if so or would I have to look elsewhere?

Hi Carl

I have the War Diary & extract from the Battalion History for the date you mention. 1/5th SL (166 Bde) was part of the 55th Division's defence of Givenchy, one of the major factors preventing a complete German breakthrough at the Battle of the Lys. 1/5th was called out on the 9th to reinforce 165 Bde (A & C Coys - Loisne Chateau) & 164 Bde (B & D Coys - Death or Glory Sap and Cheyne Walk). The localities were in the Rue L'Epinette area. Loisne was heavily attacked on the 10th, but of later days the battalion history states "For the next two or three days desultory fighting continued, and the enemy made several more attempts to break through the defensive flank without success; ...........5th Battalion remained in the Loisnes sector, and was also made responsible for the defences of Le Plantin and Grenadier Road [night of 12/13] further south. However, except for heavy and continuous shelling, the now weak companies were not further molested before" relief on 15th & 16th.

Following war diary entries are relevant:-

12/4/18 On the night of 12/13 B Coy took over defences of Le Plantin S. and Grenadier Road as far as its junction with Newcot Extension. This line was held intack (sic) under heavy shell fire until relieved by 1st Battn. Black Watch on night of 16/17 April.

13/4/18 C Coy took over defense (sic) of Loisne Central from the 1½ Coys 1/10 KLR with A Coy in support held it intact until relieved by the 1st Battn. SWB on the night of 15/16 April.

[No entry for the 14th].

Carl

It may or may not be of any help but here is the 1st Bn Black Watch's War Diary

Regards

Fred

16.4.18 ­ 17.4.18

The Battn. relieved the 4th. L. NORTH LANCS. REGT. in the left Battn. sub-sector of the GIVENCHY. SECTOR, with Bn.H.Q. in SOUTHMOOR HO. A.6.d.9.5.;

D.Coy. on the left with two platoons in LE PLANTIN SOUTH and two platoons in GRENADIER ROAD;

C.Coy. in the centre holding NEW CUT, WARE ROAD and O.B. front to sap K;

A.Coy. on the right to BERKELEY STREET. A.9.d.45. (Ref. MAP SHEET. GORRE 1/20,000); a counter-attack platoon under 2/Lieut. P.W. MACKAY, to-gether with the local reserves of A. and C.Coys., were accommodated in the tunnel system in GIVENCHY, with a battle exit at about A.9.c.3.6. and others into PICCADILLY and CALEDONIAN ROAD;

B.Coy. garrisoned the system of KEEPS, with one platoon in HERTS KEEP A.8.d.7.4; one platoon in MOAT FM A.9.c.2.7.; and two platoons in GIVENCHY KEEP and GIVENCHY TUNNEL.