Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

choice of regiments

davidfegga

Hi all

The soldier I am researching at the moment enlisted in the Rifle Brigade in september 1914. He was from Tipton in the Black Country, so his local regiment was the South Staffs.

Other members of his family and probably some of his friends enlisted in the Staffs, so I'm wondering what would make him enlist in the Rifle Brigade. Was it better pay or a fancier uniform?!

I beleive he enlisted in West Bromwich, so would he have stated his choice at the recruiting office, or would there have been a recruiting party of Riflemen passing through?

Dave

He would not necessarily choose. he would enlist or attest and then be posted where he was needed. He amy have had some perticular attribute that made him suited to the RB. it is also possible the Staffs were up to strength at that time.

Roop

Edited by KONDOA

Various reasons.

My old mate Horace Calvert joined West Yorks TF. Billeted in a private house and took a fancy to the photo on the sideboard. The Lady of the house was married to a Guardsman. He deserted the West Yorks and enlisted with the Grenadiers. Got into trouble for it but stayed with the Gren Gds for the rest of the war.

Perhaps your man just fancied being in the RB.