Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

116 Heavy Battery R.G.A.

stoney43

Does anybody know where the 116 heavy battery where in October 1914.

according to Medal card qualifing date 24/10/1914.

thanks.

Dave.

Oct 1914 1st Battle of Ypres with 4th Corps

1 Nov. DICKEBUSCH lll Cav. Div

19-20 French 42 Div.

22 Left Ypres

1 Dec Nieppe – HM reviews the Bty

13 NEUVE EGLISE

14 WYTSCHAETE RIDGE

5 –1-1915 5th Corps (27 Div)

20 Jan DICKEBUSCH

14-15 March fired 550 rounds in 25 hours

6 June St ELOI

Roop

Roop,

Thanks for that, after 16 years trying to find this illusive grandad thanks to the medals the 1901 census, finding this site in late December and the help given at last the negatives are becoming positive.

Not knowing anything to date about Military history and spending most of my time reading the threads on this site I have found this a fasinating subject.

before I dash off to the pop shop could I ask is there a war diary for the 116 heavy brigade. or will it be covered in the war diarys of the units you mentioned.

Thanks again

Dave.

p.s.just read 1st ypres main site brilliant.

Edited by pipsqueek

Dave

don't confuse battery and brigade and watch out for the probabilit that there were RFA and Siege Batteries also 116 .

It is worth looking at the war diaries for the battery, brigade, and divisional [all sorts including general RA and Admin] - try the Canadian on line resources [see elsewhere on this website but contact me if stuck] and also the Royal Artillery Historical Trust.

I am researching 122/123 Heavy Batteries so happy to help further if you email me.

Alan

Dave,

On the 27th September 1914 No.5 Company,R.G.A., a Regular Army unit was converted into 116th(Heavy)Battery,R.G.A.

On the 1st October 1916 175th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. was broken up and sent one section to 116th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. and two other sections to 147th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. & 2/1st(Lancs)Heavy Bty,R.G.A.

By November 1918 116th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. was serving with 83rd(Mixed)Brigade,R.G.A, Fourth Army. The Bde consisted of the following units;-

116th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pounder guns.

1/1st(Highland)Heavy Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pounder guns.

230th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

284th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

135th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 8inch Howitzers.

69th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 9.2inch Howitzers.

On the 7th May 1919 116th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. was redesignated 50th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A.

Sorry, but I have information on overseas service. The person you're researching was either a regular soldier or returned reservist.

Graham.

Alan.

Whoops! thanks for the correction and the pointers for my next foray into the confusing world of the artillery-man. and thanks for the offer of help will probably need it in the coming weeks.

Graham.

Thank you. Still trying to work out if he was regular or reservist he was in 11co E.D.R.G.A. from the 1901 cesus and was 26 years old, so by 1914 he would be 40ish not too old as you could serve upto 45 I believe.

anyway thanks for the info plenty to digest and get stuck into.

Dave.

Dave,

He was serving with 11th Eastern Division Company, R.G.A. in 1901, but on the 1st January 1902 it was redesignated as 77th Company R.G.A. In July 1913 this Company was serving in Aden, but had orders to sail for Bombay, India where it would have been by 1914. This Company was in turn converted into 77th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. while in India. So it's a strong possibility that your man was either out by then or had transferred.

Graham.

Edited by Graham Stewart

Hi Graham,

Thanks again for the latest. I think you are right and my man is on reserve. Shall proceed with this in mind.

By the way he was born in West Auckland and thick'o me thought that E.D.R.G.A. was East Durham R.G.A.

Thanks again.

Dave.

The war Diary for 116th Heavy Battery RGA from October - June 1914 is at the Royal Artillery Museum Library. It was handed in last year by the son of one of the officers of the battery. My extract above is from that diary.

Roop

Roop,

Thanks for the info can one go along to read the diary what is the proper way to go about following up this info.

Dave.

Dave

Contact the Librarian, Mr. Paul. Evans, either by phone on 020-8312-7125, or by email to research@firepower.org.uk.

Roop

Thanks Roop will give him a call.