Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ROYAL RIFLES OF CANADA WW1

sandi

:wacko: Hello: I had posted in the past searching information on my grandfathers regiment - battalion - information I had was 24th Atholl Battalion. Now it seems that it may have been referred to as The Royal Rifles of Canada or Victoria Rifles of Canada. Would anyone out there have info on this for the period of WWl? I have checked on sites that show uniforms of this period and do not see anything like what my grandfather was wearing in a picture I have of him and four other military men. The hat he and another gentlemen are wearing have a feather coming out and up the side of the hat - he also has a gold braid on one of his shoulders. Sure would appreciate any info. Thanks to all.

:wacko: Hello: I had posted in the past searching information on my grandfathers regiment - battalion - information I had was 24th Atholl Battalion. Now it seems that it may have been referred to as The Royal Rifles of Canada or Victoria Rifles of Canada.

Sandi

The official CEF history by Nicholson gives the 24th as "Victoria Rifles of Canada" (appendix D, french version).

The war diaries can be found here: http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/..._e.html&r=0&f=S

You might find his attestation here: http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02010602_e.html

There is a forum dedicated to the Canadian Expeditionary Force where you can find a lot of information, tips and people willing to help:

http://www.cefresearch.com/phpBB2/

Happy searching

Pascal

As Pascal indicates, the 24th Battalion of the CEF was known as the Victoria Rifles of Canada. This transpired due to the method of mobilization used by the Dept of Militia in Canada during WW1. The Minister of Militia, Sir Sam Hughes made a general call for enlistment in 1914, with no connection to the existing mobilization plan or the existing system of militia. After the initial call, the minister used other recruiting schemes and in part, fell back on the militia and used those regiments to help recruit new battalions for the CEF. The 24th was one of the second call for mobilization and represented the Victoria Rifles of Canada, a militia unit from Montreal.

This unit drew heavily on the English speaking population of Montreal, but also had many recruits from other areas of the province of Quebec and neighbouring provinces.

Sandi, could you tell us his full name so we could have a look at his attestation papers, that would give us something to start with? You could also post the photo on this thread, we may be able to get some details from that.