Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ross Rifle's Firing Distance

Nathan Greenfield

Hello,

To some extent this is an academic question. The Ross, I suppose, fired a round very much like the Lee Enfield 303. The question is really at what range was it effective? and that depended on the skill of the rifleman. I have read that sometime in WW1 a unit of the Hampshires with sights at 1000 yards engaged and and forced the retreat of a German artillery unit. A round would carry, I guess about 2,500 yards. In the hands of a trained rifleman a round would hit an enemy soldier at about 300 yards, given time to assess the range and take up a firing position. I suspect that shots at that sort of range were quite unusual.

Old Tom

In the hands of a trained rifleman a round would hit an enemy soldier at about 300 yards, given time to assess the range and take up a firing position.

The Ross wasn't suited for normal combat troops because of problems with jamming and the bolt flyining out, but was used by snipers because it was more accurate than the SMLE. It won the 1000 yard category for 3 consecutive years at the English Bisley Match competition. See link.

marc

Hello,

Of course you are correct re accuracy and robustness of the Ross. I understand the Canadians went to war with the Ross and changed to the SMLE when they disovered the failings of the Ross when used in the trenches. Was the Ross in general use as a snipers rifle?

Old Tom

Was the Ross in general use as a snipers rifle?

Hi Tom,

I'm far from an expert on this, but I continue to find references to Canadian snipers using the Ross. I suspect that it was a personal preference.

marc

The MkVII .303 round was considered effective up to 2800 yards. That was the maximum range marked on the volley sights of the Short Lee Enfield rifle. For aimed individual shots, 1200 yards/meters is about the limit for .30" cartridges generally.