Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 Lt Charles Henry McCaughey, 7/9th DLI

bigronhartley

Hello, Charles Henry McCaughey was from Gateshead (1901 Census) and probably a pre-war territorial with the 9th Durham Light Infantry. MIC gives his number 9/669 (325018) and rank as L.Sgt. Medal Rolls show he attained the rank of A/WO1 before being commissioned. He was commissioned as 2 Lt in the 7th DLI, but the 1919 Army List shows him attached to the 9th Battalion. I would be most grateful for any information from War Diaries and or Battalion Histories, and information regarding his career between the Wars. Thanks. Regards, Ron

• 2 years later...

Hello again,

Just bringing this request back, hoping some Durham Light Infantry enthusiast might be able to help.

Regards

Ron

Hello, Charles Henry McCaughey was from Gateshead (1901 Census) and probably a pre-war territorial with the 9th Durham Light Infantry. MIC gives his number 9/669 (325018) and rank as L.Sgt. Medal Rolls show he attained the rank of A/WO1 before being commissioned. He was commissioned as 2 Lt in the 7th DLI, but the 1919 Army List shows him attached to the 9th Battalion. I would be most grateful for any information from War Diaries and or Battalion Histories, and information regarding his career between the Wars. Thanks. Regards, Ron

Ron

I see that there are no entries for him in the Officer service records at Kew. WO339 has 3 files for the surname as you spelt it,but with initials S,W and D. WO374 has 2 files,both 2/Lts but with initials M and F. I am not sure of the cut-off date at which service records are not available to the public,but 1921 is a possibility,so if he was commissioned after that year his file presumably wouldn't be at Kew yet.

All I can suggest is that you see what the London Gazette has on him.

Sotonmate

There seems to have been a C H McCaughey in the Second World War, so his papers are probably still with the MOD, if it s the same man.

LG 18-6-1940

R. North'd Fus.

C.S.M. (actg. R.S.M.) Charles Henry MCCAUGHEY (135153), from Durham L.I., to be Lt. 19th June 1940.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...mp;exact=135153

LG 9-4-1946

INFANTRY.

R. North'd Fus.

Lt. C. H. McCAUGHEY (135153) relinquishes his commn. on account of disability, 8th Apr. 1946, and is granted the hon. rank of Capt.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...0H.%20McCaughey

Steve.

Hello Sotonmate,

Thanks very much for your help regarding the Officer service records at Kew. C H McCaughey was commissioned into the Northumberland Fusiliers during the Second World War, so his file must still be with the MOD. I see 'Good Old Stebie' has managed to locate the London Gazette entries for him. Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated.

Regards

Ron

Hello Steve,

Thanks very much for your help regarding C H McCaughey. The London Gazette still manages to frustrate my search efforts most of the time, so your reply was most welcome. That's another drink I owe you! Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Ron