Remembered Today:

Absent Voter List for Durham

philg

I'm trying to link one of these men to a Durham address:

Gnr Joseph Curran 231976 RFA

Gnr Joseph Curran 4169 RGA

Pte Joseph Curran 587421 Labour Corps

Pte Joseph Curran 277670 DLI

If anyone has access to the Durham AVL could they possibly have a look for me.

Many thanks

Phil

I think that they are usually in the local studies part of the library in the town they lived in at that time, that was the case for my wife's grandfather. It led us to find out a lot about him. Also ask your local county council record office if they are not in the library.

Philg,

May be able to help here, but which part of Durham were they from, because Durham has quite a few AVL's relating to it's Borough's and Voting Division's? Send an e.mail address and I'll see what I can come up with.

Graham.

Hi Graham,

All in know is the address he had in 1901 (Census) which was Castle Chare, Framwellgate. Now he may well still have lived there in the war years but I can't be sure. I would try Framwellgate, Milburngate and Framwellgate Moor.

email is: Gallagherpfleet@hotmail.com.

Unfortunatly, living down south makes it somewhat tricky to rummage through the library, so much appreciated.

best regards

Phil

Phil,

No problem. Will be onto it shortly.

Graham.

Graham,

Does the Durham AVL contain details of Seaham Harbour? There's a man from there I am researching.

Gloria

Graham,

Sorry to tag on to this aswell, what about Carville on the Durham AVL, as I am also tracking down a GT Grandfather who lived there and was in the army. This may say what Regt. if he appears.

Thanks,

Alan

Gloria,

Seaham, which included the Harbour has it's own Voting Division. The Durham AVL's are for;-Blaydon, Bishop Auckland, Consett, Chester-le-Street, Durham, Sedgefield, Spennymoor, Seaham and the Boroughs of Darlington, Hartlepool, Gateshead. Missing are the Borough's of Sunderland, South Shields and Stockton-on-Tees.

I have some of the Seaham, but not all.

Alan,

I always thought Carville was a creation of the 1960's, but he may appear in one of the City Wards that covered that area in 1918.

Graham.

Alan,

Who am I looking for?

Graham.

Hello Graham, I hope you don't mind but might I request a look up on the AVL's for Gateshead ? The man I'm interested in is Charles Henry McCaughey. Thanks. Regards, Ron

Shuck's Phil, I bet it's the first time you've ever seen a Brandon lad blush!!!

Graham.

Thanks Graham,

Looking for a Christopher Richardson, who lived in the High street, Carville (Belmont).

I was told he was a farrier in either the RA / RFA/ RHA / RGA, but that is not definate. I think he may have done only home service so the medal rolls no good and not sure if he was even still in around this time. Appreciate the checking as would tick another potential route off.

Regards,

Alan

Alan,

I'm afraid there was no luck with a Christopher Richardson in the Durham AVL, the only one I could find in Belmont being 37135 Pte James W. Richardson of the Essex Regt, who was living at 15 Bainbridge St, Belmont.

However going on what you said about the MIC's I did a quick check and came up with only one Christopher S. Richardson in whole of the RHA/RFA/RGA

98233 Cpl Shoe Smith Christopher S. Richardson, R.F.A. who later became acting Sgt.

There were other Richardson's in and around the City of Durham, but don't know if these would be of interest to you? The AVL's are a really good source, but if the individual didn't register for a vote, or was under 21yrs of age then your snookered.

Graham

Edited by Graham Stewart

Hi Graham,

Not sure if James is a relative of Christopher, so will have to check this out. I also found Christopher S Richardson, but I am tld my man had no middle name, so have to discount this one. Many more C Richardsons on the MIC. Unfortunately no service records for any of them at the NA either... Typical Luck.....

Would be very interested in the other Richardsons you have around Durham, as the family are from that area and may be some connection somewhere.

Many thanks,

Alan

Alan,

Here are the ones found in Durham City;-

Elvet Ward

826 Pte Thomas William Richardson, 9th Bn,DLI - 13 Church Street.

35166 John Saynor Richardson, 7th Bn,KOYLI - The Public Baths. Also found at 3 Moody's Building's.

Nevilles Cross Ward

2nd/Lt William Jocelyn Richardson, 8th Bn,DLI - Western Hill.

Crossgate Ward

18/586 Pte John Henry Richardson, 18th Bn,DLI - 4 East Atherton Street.

Framwellgate

207374 Pte George Richardson, No.1 Battery,R.G.A. - Newcastle Row

11060 Pte Robert Richardson, 3rd(Res)Bn,Yorks Regt - Coach & Horses Inn, Pity Me.

41910 Pte William Richardson, 4th Bn,Bedfordshire Regt - Coach & Horses Inn, Pity Me.

54635 Pte Robert Richardson, 130th Labour Coy, Labour Corps - 19 Jubilee Tce, Pity Me.

207375 Gnr Robert Richardson, R.G.A. - Brick Row.

231996 Gnr Bertie Richardson, R.F.A. - 19 Jubilee Tce, Pity Me.

Do you require the rest of those that fall within Durham Division, but which fall outside of the City?

Graham.

Edited by Graham Stewart

Hi Graham,

If I could be as rude to ask for the outside Durham. I am seraching the family history tree as I type for any connections and will let you know.

Again many thanks and very kind of you .

Alan

Graham,

Just been told by my father in law that James W Richardson was a nephew to Christoper Richardson in Belmont. Also told not many Richardsons living in Belmont and that they were all connected in someway.

Alan