Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Old Contemptibles badge

stu

Hello,

Can anyone help me.I have an Old Contemptibles Association badge,on the reverse is a number,is it possible to identify its owner by this?Was there some kind of register of members?

Thanks.

Stu

Jean (she who must be obeyed) has one of these badges and wanted to know the same thing. However, I don't think a list exists anymore.

Wasn't Teddy Noyes the last Chairwoman of the Old Contemptibles Association?

Sadly the membership lists have not survived - so you will not be able to trace your badges. I looked into this 10+ years ago when some of the Old Contemptibles were still alive, and it semms the records were held regionally, and not nationally. Shame, because they are high quality badges, with a lot of history behind them no doubt.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Its a shame they can't be researched,as Paul suggests,there must be a lot of history there,it might also stop some people adding them as the original badge to 1914 Star groups!

Yes, Stu , I suppose that is a problem but most people in the know will surely just value them as add-ons at £15 or so ?

I have a silver "Patrons" OCA badge which is pretty but I value my ordinary badges more because of whose lapels they used to decorate - whoever they may have been. Another example of old soldiers just fading away.

Ianw,

Thats a good point,perhaps some dealers are trying to justify their high prices by adding a badge or some other kind of extra.