Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for a map showing Henin Hill or -

James Brown

Hi

I've been following the steps of 1/5th Btn. RSF/ 155th Brigade when they attacked towards Henin Hill, Hindenburg Line on the 26th August 1918.

Anyone got a map of the area in question please, or point me in the right direction.

Here's an extract from the history.

John Buchan’s History of the Royal Scots Fusiliers (1678-1918)

“On the 26th (August) came the great attack by Horne’s First Army astride the Scarpe – the beginning of the last battles of Arras. Sir Arthur Currie, with the Canadian Corps and the Fifty First Division, advanced on a five mile front, taking Wancourt and the old storm centres of Monchy and Guemappe, and, the next day, Roeux and Gavrelle. Byng’s left, the Fifty-second and the Fifty-sixth Divisions, co-operated, and to the 155th Brigade of the former was entrusted the capture of the Hindenburg Line on Henin Hill; it was then to await the Canadian’s, and fight it’s way down the Hindenburg Line to the south-east. The attack was delivered at 3.00 am with the 1/5th Royal Scots Fusiliers on the right and the 1/4th Royal Scots Fusiliers on the left, and by 5.00 am they had broken into the Hindenburg Line and secured their objectives. For some hours the Brigade had both its flanks exposed. Presently however, the Canadian’s carried Monchy-le-Preux and the Wancourt ridge, and the two Scots Fusilier Battalions were able to swing round to the south-east, and follow the 1/5th K.O.S.B. in the capture of Henin Hill. The situation was awkward, for on the right Croisilles still held out against the Fifty-sixth Division. Next day, the 27th (August), the 157th Brigade attacked the remainder of Henin Hill, and the 155th Brigade attempted to turn the enemy position at Croisilles. Croisilles fell at last in the evening. The day was one of the hardest in the experience of the Fifty-second Division. It was fighting on two fronts facing east and facing south-west, and before it was relieved in the early hours of the 28th (August), had lost half it’s numbers. That day (28th) it withdrew to the Mercatel area for three days rest to reorganize. The 1/5th Royal Scots Fusiliers had Captain G. C. Millar, Lieutenant T. W. Gudgeon, and Second-Lieutenants T. R. M. Taylor and S. B. Hurst killed.”

Thanks

James

Edited by James Brown

Just picked this up at work. If you email me on louthbardney@yahoo.co.uk I will reply with an attachment - I should be able to locate the map tonight when I get home

Thanks Andy I had a look through CROONAERT'S site, can't seem to find any map for the area of that time. I'll look again more closely.

withcall I have sent you an email, look forward to hearing from you.

Apologies Peter and others. My mistake it should have read "26th August 1918." and not 1917 as posted.

I have edited the post

Thanks all

James

withcall

Recieved the map.

Was there was another file attached? A .dat file, it never came through.

Great view of the trench system around the area. Is this from the NMP. The THE IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM TRENCH MAP ARCHIVE?

Thanks for taking the time David.

James

No other file - Yes, it's from the CD. I have never got the hang of saving files from the CD, so I do a 'Print Screen' command and then paste it into Coreldraw and trim it up afterwards.