Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DSO from Wolverhampton, but not on any memorial?

Tom Morgan

Can any Pal (Black Country ones might have a special interest) tell my if Horace Frederick Gough is mentioned on any Wolverhapmton Memorial?

He was born in Wolverhampton 1896 parents Phillip and Alice Gough. His mother died in 1908. His father was living 18 Union Mill Street, Horsely Fields, Wolverhampton in 1912.

He started off in the 11th Hussars with number 10381.

Commissioned 4.2.17.

Ended up as a 2/Lieut and DSO with 8th N. Staffs.

KIA 21.9.17

Buried Oxford Road Cemetery, Ypres.

London Gazette 9th January 1918 - DSO

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He rallied part of a neighbouring battalion that had lost all its officers and had been forced back from a most important position. He personally led a counter attack and retook the position at the point of the bayonet, inflicting heavy casualties on the enemy. He then consolidated the captured position, and remained in command until relieved.

By his gallantry individuality and resource he undoubtedly enabled the troops on his flank to regain a highly important position.

Grateful for any info.

Tom

Tom

This is coincidential (Not) but I had an email today from a relative of this soldier asking the very same question. I informed her that to date I hadn't researched or seen a memorial with Horace's name on. I informed her that I have put his name on the roll of honour on my site to remember him.

Regards Doug.

Not a coincidence Doug, as you rightly guess - I got the same email! People do tend to send them out wholesale and it isn't always easy to decide whether or not to try to help. In this case, I thought some of the BCNO Pals, knowing their interests, might have some info which could be passed on.

You've given the best answer that any of us could have given, I reckon. I'll reply and say that my friend Doug Lewis has already replied and I can't add any further information.

Thanks -

Tom