Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Col EJPF Macartney-Filgate R Irish R and Lanc. Fus

bigronhartley

Hello, I would be most grateful for any information relating to the career of Col EJPF Macartney-Filgate who was Colonel of the 3rd (Militia) Battalion of the Royal Irish Rifles prior to the Great War, and Lt Colonel of the 12th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers during the early part of the War. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks. Regards, Ron

Hello Mark, Thanks for your offer of help, do you have access to the LFs Year Books for the Great War ? Regards, Ron

Ron

The LF Annual for 1916 says that he was Commanding Officer of the 12th Service Battalion on leaving England Sept 4th 1915. They went via Folkstone to Boulogne and the moved up to the front line near Bray sur Somme on September 10th. On the 18th they were moved south of the Somme and took over the line from Cuignes to Herleville.

On 25th Oct the Battalion entrained at Longeau fror Marseilles. They embarked on the evening of the 27th on HMS Saturnia and HMT Cawdor Castle. They arrived at Salonica on 5th and 7th November. On December 8th they proceeded north to Serbia they eventually fell back across the Greek frontier during the night 12/13th.

The Allied troops afterwards moved back to Salonica, and the next four months were occupied in constructing the Salonica defences.

"On March 27th 1916 Col. E. Macartney-Filgate, who had commanded the Battalion since its formation in September, 1914, was sent to hospital, being subsequently, invalided to England, the command being taken over by Major C. A. Chaytor."

He is included on a photo of the Officers 12th Battalion taken at Aldershot on Minden Day 1915. If you want me to email you a copy of the photo let me know your email address.

Regards

Pam

Hello Pam, Thanks very much for your reply re: Col E Macartney-Filgate. I would very much appreciate a copy of the photo of the Officers 12th Battalion taken at Aldershot on Minden Day 1915, which appears in

The LF Annual for 1916. I was hoping there might be a photo. My email address is : ronhartley@ntlworld.com

Thanks again for taking the trouble to look him up. Regards, Ron

I have photocopied the pages from the Lf regimental History. To be honest it doesn't give much more info than the Annual, but there is a nice account of the battalion's service in Macedonia. If you e-mail me your postal address I'll send it.

Mark, Thanks very much for the photocopied pages from the LFs Regimental History. It is very interesting, I note that Lt Col Macartney-Filgate was only on Active Service for a short time. Thanks again. Regards, Ron

• 2 months later...

Hello Swizz,

Thanks very much for the information regarding Macartney-Filgate's article in the regimental journal of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. I knew he was an authority on the Military History of Ireland and had written a book on the subject in the early 1900s but was unaware of this article. Dare I ask if you have had chance to look at the Book on Irish Barristers yet ? Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Ron

Hello Terry,

Thanks very much for directing me to the GREATWARINDEX site. I had found the page previously whilst 'Googling' but it wouldn't let me on to the Home page. It looks like a useful source of information for researchers, I've spotted a couple men I am interested in already. Thanks again.

Regards

Ron