Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Btn. Black Watch

James Brown

Can any pals shed any light on the movements of the 8th Black Watch on or around the time of 1st January 1917?

The casaulty i'm researching;

Donald Sloan

Private S/9311

8th Battalion, Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

Killed in Action Monday, 1st January 1917

Commemorated. Cemetery: FAUBOURG D'AMIENS CEMETERY, ARRAS, Pas de Calais, France

Grave Reference/Panel Number: III. A. 32.

Donald is one of 4 brothers who died between 1914-1918.My previous threads go over this.

Previously posted info for the 9th (Scottish) Division at this time and thanks to Malcolm he managed to pinpoint the Division around;

"The area was from south of the Scarpe to Roclincourt in the north. The area was in three sectors named I, J and K from south to north. 26th Brigade in I, South African in J and 27th in K and there they remained until 9th April 1917. So 26th Brigade was alongside the Scarpe on its northern bank. Ten raids were carried out from 1st January to 9th April."

Any help at Battalion level would be great.

Thanks

James

Can any pals shed any light on the movements of the 8th Black Watch on or around the time of 1st January 1917?

The casaulty i'm researching;

Donald Sloan

Private S/9311

8th Battalion, Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

Killed in Action Monday, 1st January 1917

Commemorated. Cemetery: FAUBOURG D'AMIENS CEMETERY, ARRAS, Pas de Calais, France

Grave Reference/Panel Number: III. A. 32.

Donald is one of 4 brothers who died between 1914-1918.My previous threads go over this.

Previously posted info for the 9th (Scottish) Division at this time and thanks to Malcolm he managed to pinpoint the Division around;

"The area was from south of the Scarpe to Roclincourt in the north. The area was in three sectors named I, J and K from south to north. 26th Brigade in I, South African in J and 27th in K and there they remained until 9th April 1917. So 26th Brigade was alongside the Scarpe on its northern bank. Ten raids were carried out from 1st January to 9th April."

Any help at Battalion level would be great.

Thanks

James

According to History of Ninth Div., There was an intensive artillery duel as well as the 10 raids you mention. Germans used heavy trench mortars which demolished trenches and lighter mortars in volleys of 5 or 6 bombs which cost about 30 deaths a week for each battalion in the front line. No mention of a raid on 1st Jan.

Five men died in 8th Black Watch that day.

Surname Firstname Service Number Date Death SNWM roll Rank

BENSON William James S/17560 01/01/1917 THE BLACK WATCH (ROYAL HIGHLANDERS) Pte

HOLLAND Handel S/12362 01/01/1917 THE BLACK WATCH (ROYAL HIGHLANDERS) Pte

MILNE James S/17539 01/01/1917 THE BLACK WATCH (ROYAL HIGHLANDERS) Pte

MITCHELL Robert S/12993 01/01/1917 THE BLACK WATCH (ROYAL HIGHLANDERS) Pte

SLOAN Donald S/9311 01/01/1917 THE BLACK WATCH (ROYAL HIGHLANDERS) Pte

Black Watch Museum in Perth may have some info on this raid.

Aye

Malcolm

According to History of Ninth Div., There was an intensive artillery duel as well as the 10 raids you mention. Germans used heavy trench mortars which demolished trenches and lighter mortars in volleys of 5 or 6 bombs which cost about 30 deaths a week for each battalion in the front line. No mention of a raid on 1st Jan.

??

Ten raids, the majority of them successful, were carried between the 1st January and the 9th April -- page 177.

Aye

Malcolm

Great Malcolm

I will need to contact the museum or try and get up there to have a look for myself.

James

??

Ten raids, the majority of them successful, were carried between the 1st January and the 9th April -- page 177.

Aye

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm, I assumed that the dates were a timespan and the raids were carried out sometime in that interval. I think we are quoting from the same source. According to the Official History , the only action mentioned on 1 Jan , was a German attack against 7th Div. in the Vth Army sector. The first actual mention of 9th Div is at Arras in April.

Thanks truthergw

James

James,

The following explains what happened to Pte. Sloan.

The Battalion returned to the trenches in I Sector on the 30th, and again took over from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. On January 1st 1917, a heavy German trench mortar bomb fell on a dug-out in C company's line, causing it to collapse, and killing five men in it.

A. G. Wauchope, A History of the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) in the Great War, 1914-1918, Vol. III (London, 1926), 33.

Hope this helps,

Derek

Derek

Thank you for the info. I can now detail what happened to Donald Sloan.

These men came from my village, which is really quite a small mining village....one main road....and only one way into the village. At the time of the Great War the inhabitants totalled around 350. Since my research began I have identifeied 55 men from the village and surrounding area, who enlisted for that period. Sadly 26 of these men never returned.

Thank you

James

Fred

Fantastic, I would be grateful for another photo.

A wee while ago I was given a photo of Donlad's Grave by my learned friend Robert Pike, who is also a valuable member of this forum.

May I ask, do you have an interest in Donald as well?

I have a photograph of Donald, not a good one, you can see him in uniform. I will post it.

I will PM you with my email address.

Thanks Fred

James

Not a very good picture i'm afraid.

Donald Sloan 8th Btn. Black Watch

Pte.jpg

Hi James

Nice to see the man. Any picture is a good one!

I have sent the grave pic direct to you.

My interest is Black Watch. I have also over the years been photogtaphing their graves.

Sloan as nver in the published wounded lists.

Regards

Fred

Fred

Got the picture you sent by email. Thanks again

Will be in touch in the future as regards Black Watch.

James