Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

C.S. Whalley of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers 3rd Bn.

fetler2002

Hi,

Below are the details of my GG Uncle Charles Smith Whalley b.1884 Burnley, Lanc's, Is anybody able to please help me find where he would of been stationed the day of his death or how he died?

I have done some digging around on the net but am not entirely sure weather he was stationed in Britain at the time of his death.

Also is it possible to find out if he was married/unmarried through his military records as i have a photo here of him in his uniform with a lady.

Being new to this, Any help or advice would be appreciated, Regards Fetler

Name: WHALLEY

Initials: C S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Unit Text: 3rd Bn.

Date of Death: 29/05/1916

Service No: 10408

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: J. 384.

Cemetery: SHIPLEY (NAB WOOD) CEMETERY Yorkshirepost-10058-1136515202.jpg

Lovely photograph,

The 3rd reserve bn. was in Ireland in 1916 and I would suspect he was killed during the rebellion as it was heavily involved in the fighting. A friend's grandfather was also in the 3rd bn. and was killed in Cork on 21st 4 1916. The rebellion offically commenced on 24th 4 1916 and ended on the 29th 4 1916. However, skirmishes obviously broke out before and after these dates.

There is a possibility that the date of his death was incorrect and he may have died one month earlier. I may be wrong but I seem to remember seeing the name in Grangegorman Military Cemetery in Dublin.

PS I note the lady in the photograph is wearing a ring on her wedding finger.

Yours,

Ken

He entered France on the 12/09/1914 presumably with the 2nd Battalion and was awarded a 1914 star and appears to have been discharged on the 16/12/1915. He wasn't involved in the rebellion.

Conor

Just curious,

Perhaps you could inform me, (being a complete novice), how he was discharged on 16.12.15 and killed on 29.5.16. Is it possible he was transferred from the 2nd to the 3rd reserve?

Ken

Potentially died of wounds? Just a chance. Given proximity to hospital etc?

Des

Thanks Des,

I'm sure that is a possibility but it was the date of his death and the fact that he was in the 3rd bn. that initially struck me. Would it therefore be a possibility that he was wounded in Ireland and died a month later in England. Just a thought.

I note there are two MICs for this man, one entered as Charles (act. cpl.) the other as SC Whalley (private/act.cpl.)

Ken