Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Herman BELCHER

bobpike

A friend has asked me if anyone can help with any further information on this soldier, please?

Name William Herman Belcher.

Number 5679.

On his BWM & Victory medal it states CPL Middlesex Regiment. But his Grand Daughter who has the medals also has Cambridgeshire and Hampshire Regiment cap badges as well as the Middlesex one. She also has a Tank association badge. Apparently he was at one point in tanks because he was short in height!

She also has what I believe to be his leather dog tags. One is round the other is octagonal, both stamped with his name, number 302961 and the marking CE TC.

Can you explain the number being different to his service number and also what CETC Means?

CE = Church of England

TC = Tank Corps (probably)

However, that number seems to belong to :

Medal card of Ingleby, George E

Corps Regiment No Rank

Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment 25330 Private

Royal Fusiliers G/62683 Private

Labour Corps 121965 Private

Tank Corps 302961 Private

I think the number must be 302981

Medal card of Belcher, William H

Corps Regiment No Rank

Middlesex Regiment 5679 Corporal

Tank Corps 302981 Corporal

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...&resultcount=66

The number on his dog tag would be the Tank Corps number and not the Middlesex Regiment number. He would probably have handed in his old Middlesex dog tags when transferred. The Religion is for burial rites purposes, presumably.

Steve.

Steve,

Thank you, the number must be a typing error on my friend's part. I assume possession of the other badges is not relevant. Do you know if height was a TC requirement?

Bob

I'm not aware of there being a height restriction though I imagine that really tall men would probably not fit!

The Cambridgsehire and Hampshire badges would presumably be relevant somewhere, but the only likely explanations for Sjt. Belcher are as pre-overseas service or for re-enlistment after WW1? Don'y know is the honest answer.

There were only 24 men who served in both the Hampshire Regiment and the Cambridgeshire Regiment and served overseas per the MICs. None of those was called Belcher.

Steve.

Steve,

Thanks again, I hadn't thought of the pre/post war scenarios, but perhaps my friend can ascertain more from his relative, much appreciated,

Bob