Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

57th Brigade TMB

stu

Can anyone please help me with what the 57th TMB were upto in July 1916.

I have looked on the Mother site but I need more detail.

Many thanks.

Stu

Hi Stu

Formed in Feb. 1916 and firstly known as 57 A & 57 B, became 57/1 & 57/2 by 17/3/16 and became 57th T.M. Bty. by 15/6/16.

The 19th Division to which the 57th T.M.B. belonged do not seem to have been involved any major engagements between Sept. 1915 and July 1916.

On 16/2/16 it relieved the 38th & Guards Divs from Plum Street to Erith Post, with Div. H.Q. at La Gorgue. It left this area in mid April for Therouanne area, and thence to other training areas. By the end of May the 57th Brigade had moved to St. Rquier area. By mid June the Division was situated east of Doullens-Amiens road. This info. is taken from 19th Div. history, sorry there is no info. no 57th T.M.B.

Annette

Stu,

The best source is "The Nineteenth Division 1914-1918" by Everard Wyrall. This is in print by Naval and Miltary Press. In short, 57th Bde were involved in the capture of La Boiselle 3 -6 July (they won 2 VCs) and in consolidating the capture in the next few days. On 20 July, they returned to the front line at Bazentin-le-Petit. Over the next ten days they tried to take the Switch Line west of High Wood. After this they were withdrawn to the Spanbroekmolen-Wytschaete sector, returning to the Somme in late October where they attacked Grandcourt on 18 November.

Phil

Stu

I have just realised that I have misread your post, thought you were asking what were they up to until July 1916, sorry, must take more time in reading posts. I have "The Nineteenth Division 1914-1918" by Everard Wyrall also and will see if 57th T.M.B. get a mention for July.

Annette

Hi Annette,

Anything you can turn up for me from your div history will be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Regards.

Stu

Hi Stu

The 19th Div. History sadly does not mentions them much, in fact only once for the fighting in July. It records the relieve of the 57th Brigade at 12.30 am on the 6th July, except for the Machine Gun Company and TMB who remained in La Boisselle until later in the day. The history also praises the devoted support of the divisional MG companies and TMB's and other support units.

Like Phil says the best source is "The Nineteenth Division 1914-1918" by Everard Wyrall, the fighting at La Boisselle was very severa (spelling does not look right sorry slightly word blind), and confused with trenches half in British hands and half in German. If you can get your hands on a copy its well worth a read.

Annette