Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Service Order 1st January 1916 to the 12th June 1923

Barry Hayter

Am looking at purchasing a copy of this book to check any references to Lt Col John Henry Langton DSO .... before I buy it can anybody confirm if he is detailed in this book and out of interest what is printed (i.e. photograph or just citation?).

Thanks.

No photo - a small pen-picture. "Langton, JH (DSO, LG 1.1.18). Major, RWF; enlisted in Rifle bde 1888, later transferred to RE. Retired from army 1910, with the rank of Sergeant Major. On outbreak of war he joined the RWF, though over military age and fought in France from 1914 to the Armistice. His DSO was a warded for 'conspicuous organizing ability' in connection with the Messines Ridge attack. Twice during the war Colonel landgon was recommended for the CMG. During the great retreat of 1918 he kept back large numbers of the enemy with a handful of men, and, it is said, saved a regiment from destruction."

There appears to be no citation for the DSO - New year's Honours touch.

That's it - no need to buy...send me a cheque instead! :D

lol! Thanks very much ... greatly appreciated ... not worth 20 quid for a pencil drawing? In all seriousness I have no photos at of him in military outfit (or during that period) so I am pretty desperate!!!!

Didn't get your comment re New Years Honours?

Sorry - pen picture I meant a written history (i.e. what i copied down), rather than an actual picture! New Year's Honours - basically the annual gong-giving to the great and good - no citation, meaning that the medal is givem for being a good bloke and doing right by the boss, rather than necessarily an act of gallantry. Sorry to confuse.