Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

20th (Service) Battalion (4th Salford) Lancashire Fusiliers

Mark Crame

Hi, my great Great Great Uncle was killed on Monday 16th April 1917 whilst serving with the 20th (Service) Battalion (4th Salford) of the Lancashire Fusiliers and is buried at Chapelle British Cemetery in the village of Holnon, 6 kilometres west of St Quentin in the Aisne Departement of France; Grave Reference IV.E.12.

I was wondering if anyone has any information on what the Battalion were doing on that day, and around that time please, so that I can get a clearer idea of the circumstances around his death please.

many thanks,

mark

Hi, Mark. On that date, the bn (part of 104 bde, 35 Div) were in the St Quentin area, following-up the German retreat to the Hindenburg Line.

On 15th April, the Bn took part in a divisional assault on the village of fayet (NW of St Quentin) and a ridge position running slightly north. The 20th attacked a sunken track on the ridge, leading from a village (Pontruet) to a farm, les Trois Sauvages (to the east of Gricourt). They were apparently successful; on the 16th they sent patrols towards an enemy trench south east of Pontruet, but it was unoccupied and no enemy were found.

They withdrew into reserve on the 17th. The brigade (104th) had casualties totalling about 400 all ranks. the source for this is the divisional history.

Hope that's a start. regards, Steve.

That's an excellent start Steve. Next I guess is to get the relevant part of the Regimental / Battalion history I guess. His MIC unfortunately doesn't give a date of entry into theatre though.

Brilliant stuff, thank you,

mark