Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandads Medals

TRACAENA

Again Private [Jack O Kent] The 1/5th Battalion The Suffolk Regt TF from the embarkation date 10th August 1915 to the Balkans{2b}

Number 2393 later renumbered with a six figure TF Number:~240563

Discharged "Dis" with Silver War Badge List Reference [again these are held @ the NA & can give further information concerning enlistment/discharge dates/reason for discharge/age/etc;]

Edited by HarryBettsMCDCM

Hi Mark

Here we have the MIC for:

Private (Pte) Kent, Jack D

Originally # 2393, of the Suffolk Regt, but later "Re-numbered" to 240563 when the Army adopted the 6 figure numbering system.

The Medal Roll codes and page numbers are... As per explanation for "Frederick" in your other post.

Jack appears to have landed in the same place, at the same time as Frederick (Balkans, 10th Aug '15).

The other entry shows that he was awarded an SWB (Silver War Badge) and the reference is given, these "Rolls" are available at the NA also.

The SWB was awarded to any personnel that were wounded (could have been for any number of reasons).

Hope this helps.

All the Best.

Mark.

Crikey. :blink:

I see Roger has beaten me again. :D

Crikey. :blink:

I see Roger has beaten me again. :D

Sorry Mark ~ You Gotta Be Quick! ;)

Mark,

2b by the way was Gallipoli. The 1/5th Suffolks were part of the 56th Division which was bought out to the Dardenelles to support the Suvla landings on 6th/7th August 1915. They departed Liverpool via Aquitania on the 30th July and arrived at Mudros on the 6th August. They went ashore at A Beach Suvla on the 10th August. They attacked Kuchuk Anafarta Ova on the 12th August suffering 189 casualties including 11 officers. The attack was largely unsuccessful. You can find more in British Battalions at Gallipoli by Ray Westlake.

A Beach is shown at the top here to the North of Salt Lake.

http://nzsf.com/Gallipoli/mapenlarge.html

Rgds

Tim

• 1 month later...

Again thank you for you help.

As my grandfather surived the GW can any one tell me where his regiment served after Gallipoli

Your help is appreciated.

Mark Wakely

The SWB was awarded to any personnel that were wounded (could have been for any number of reasons).

A soldier no longer physically fit for war service could be discharged as a result of wounds or sickness

so it doesn't always follow that a SWB was awarded as a result of wounds.