Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

india ww1 1921 why/where was he serving?

Guest mike ballinger

Guest mike ballinger

hello all

i wonder if any one can help me ive just finally obtained my relatives medal card gunner F C Ballinger service no:1402528

he was killed in india 0n 22/jan/1921

i know he recieved the british war medal /indian general service medal with clasps afghanistan 1919 and warziristan 1919 -- thanks for the help with that!

and we think he recieved the silver war badge

i know he was a gunner with the royal garrison artillery --- (22905)6th pack bty?

how can i find out why he was serving there as most of the sites talk about the war between 1914-1918?

also how can i trace the 6th pack bty? had a look on the site it said it may have been part of 41st brigade RGA? bieng 6th pack battery would this be correct?

and can i find out where he actually died?

is it true that his war records would be up at glasgow as he served after 1920?

thanks for all your help this website is amazing

keep up the good work

mike ballinger

Mike,

Jumping in with both feet here and stand to be corrected, but it may give you a start?

Fredrick is buried in Jandola Cemetery;

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...asualty=1436759

The Tochi Column advanced from Miranshah to Datta Khel, and the Tochi-Wazirs accepted the British terms; but the Mahsuds, summoned to meet near Jandola, refused to attend the 'jirga'. On the 18th December the Derajat Column began its advance from Jandola against the Mahsuds. Deliberately advancing on the single line of the Tank Zam, it came within four miles of Kotkai on the 28th December after very severe fighting. On the following day terms were accepted, and very quickly broken, by the Mahsuds. By the 18th January, 1920, the Ahnai gorge had been forced and the Sorarogha plateau occupied. The Makin area, far up the Tank Zam, was reached late in February, and Kaniguram, the Mahsud capital, on the 6th March; and by the 7th May resistance had ceased. A permanent camp, to accommodate an infantry brigade, was formed at Ladha, five miles short of Kaniguram. The campaign had been won by Indian infantry, the Royal Air Force, and the protection of the lines of communication by permanent piquets at fairly close intervals; it had cost the British forces more than 600 dead. The Wana-Wazirs, in South Waziristan, were called to account in October, 1920, for hostile acts committed in and since 1919, and the British terms were not accepted. The Wana Column, advancing by the Shahur gorge and Sarwekai, reach Wana in six weeks, by the 22nd December. Permanent garrisons were placed in South Waziristan. In these operations, and other minor affairs from November 1920 to March 1921 inclusive, the British forces on the frontier lost 376 dead. From April 1921 to the Spring of 1924 spasmodic raids, gradually becoming fewer, were answered by punitive expeditions and controlled by the introduction of a new frontier system. Makin, the capital of the Abdullai Mahsuds, was shelled in June, 1921, and devastated in February, 1923. Fifty-four casualties were sustained by convoys near Janjal in May, 1921, 50 near Jandola in June, and 82 in the Spinchilla Pass in December, 1921; less important losses in March and April, 1922, and in January and March, 1924. Meanwhile truck roads were built; local levies (Scouts and Khassadars) were enlisted, trained and placed at advanced posts; and the regular forces were gradually withdrawn with the exception of a central garrison at Razmak (at the head of the Taoda China valley, above Makin; communicating with the Khaisora and Tochi valleys). On the 31st March, 1924 the Waziristan Force was dispersed.

Hope it’s a start. Regards Charles