Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Please Help, Pvt. Alfred Albert Brown, 10th Suffolk Regiment.

AmisUK

Hi,

I had have a picture of my Great-Grandfather in what looked to be a Suffolk regiment uniform, but my Great-Aunt (his daughter) said he never served in the great war.

Just before christmas I decided to apply for my Grandmother's birth certificate just to see what her fathers occupation would be in 1919. I received the document this afternoon, and to my suprise it stated his occupation as Labourer & Ex. Private 10th Suffolk Regiment.

I've checked the National Archives On-line Medal Index, but have found nothing for an Alfred Albert Brown from Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Any suggestions or information would be appreciated, as i'm keen to learn more about my Great-Grandfathers service in the War.

Regards

Paul

Possible name mix up ?

Description Medal card of Brown, Albert A

Corps Regiment No Rank

Suffolk Regiment 15828 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/3

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Boundy D H - Campbell H

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

I downloaded the Medal Card Index for Pvt. Albert A. Brown, is just says Suff. R. Service no: 15828

Victory Medal: Roll: M1/103B3 Page: 574

British Medal: Roll: M1/103B3 Page: 574

Unfortunately I can't confirm it's the Alfred Albert Brown that i'm looking for.

Thanks for your help though.

Regards

Paul

10th [Reserve] Bn; The Suffolk Regiment did not serve Overseas so it is quite probable that he has no MiC & therefore no Medals were awardable.

Part of the 94th Brigade;31st Division they were formed @ Felixstowe in October 1914 & based @ Bury St Edmunds from March 1915;In April 1916 they became 2nd Reserve Battalion & the Brigade became 6th Res. Bde;In May '15 they went to Colchester & remained in Essex [To Harwich May 1916] In September 1916 their title became 26th Reserve Training Battalion @ Harwich 6th Res.Bde.

Thank you for the information on the 10th battalion, could you recommend any sources for further investigation, as it would be nice to have an idea of what my Great-Grandfather would have been doing at that time.

Regards

Paul

I managed to find the following extract from pages 339 - 341 of the book : The History of the Suffolk Regiment 1914-1927 by Lieut.-Colonel C.C.R. Murphy.

Published by: Hutchinson & Co. (Publishers) LTD. 34-36 Paternoster Row, London, E.C.4

10th Battalion

This Battalion was raised at Felixstowe early in October, 1914, by Captain F.L. Stanley Clarke by breaking off two recruitment companies from the 3rd Battalion. The 10th, originally raised as a Service Battalion, was at first commanded by Major F.E. Allfrey. Early in October Lieut. T.A.C. Thornhill and 2nd Lieuts. G.C. Fitzherbert and G.M. Brown were gazetted thereto, other officers being detailed from the 3rd Battalion. Towards the end of that month Major T.S. Young was sent to take over the temporary command from Major Allfrey, the latter with the other officers detailed from the 3rd Battalion being withdrawn and the new unit left to function alone. Early in November Brevet-Colonel H.R. Roberts was selected to command the battalion, 2nd Lieut. G.M. Brown being appointed adjutant and promoted to lieutenant. Lieut. J. Roberts was appointed quartermaster.

The battalion was then forming part of the Special Reserve Brigade as Felixstowe, under Brig.-General J.R.M. Dalrymple-Hay, C.B., D.S.O. While there the battalion was billeted in excellent quarters along the sea-front. During November and December Captains F. Le Feuvre, L. Lloyd, and F.W. Brooke, and Major G.F. Collinson, took over command of the four companies, Lieut. E.B. Miller being appointed machine-gun officer, Lieut. R.J.M. Raven-Hart signalling officer, and 2nd Lieut. H.W. Jenks musketry instructor. Wearing old red-and-blue uniforms and issued with wooden dummy rifles the battalion experienced some difficulty as regards training owing to a cramped and unsuitable parade-ground and the constant furnishing of working parties in connection with the coastal defences. Early in 1915, owing to an outbreak of cerebal spinal meningitis, the brigade was temporarily scattered, the 10th Battalion being sent to Bury St. Edmunds, where the men, with the senior officers and the adjutant, were accommodated in the barracks and the remainder billeted in the town. While at Bury training proceeded rapidly, and it was to the great disappointment of all ranks that in April, 1915, the battalion was converted into a reserve battalion and a draft-finding unit.

In May, 1915, the brigade reassembled at Colchester, the battalion occupying hutments in Reed Hall camp, where the depot companies of the 12th Battalion were absorbed. Following on the conversion of the battalion from a service to a reserve battalion, an intensive system of draft training was adopted, each course lasting ten weeks, carried out amid a constant change of personnel. In addition to the training of drafts the brigade had to furnish a flying column for caost defence and pickets for all main roads leading into Colchester.

In March 1916, the brigade moved to Dovercourt, Major G.H.S. Crofton succeeding Major Young as second-in-command upon the latter's transfer to another unit. While there the battalion was responsible for the defence of the coast from the pier for a distance of three miles to the south. During the year the strength of the battalion steadily increased until at one time it was over 2000 other ranks, with from 100 to 150 officers. In August, 1916, Colonel Roberts resigned the command owing to ill health, being succeeded temporarily by Major G.H.S. Crofton. Before a new commanding officer was appointed, however, the 10th Battalion, amalgamating with the 11th Essex Regiment, became the 26th Training Reserve Battalion, and as such ceased to form part of the Suffolk Regiment.

I would be interested in any information on the 26th Training Reserve Battalion from 1916 - 1918.

Regards

Paul

There is a record office at Lowestoft in the library - a damned good library as it happens, especially as it holds the County reserve stock of books. They may or may not have further texts you can look at. I know they have some stuff on both the Suffolks and Norfolks, plus microfilms of local papers etc. Might be worth a try if you are still local or can get there. A pity it's a common name.

I know the records office in Lowestoft well (I live locally in the area), and unfortunately they are not able to help any further, especially with the merging of the two Battalions into the 26th Training Reserve Battalion from 1916-onwards.

I know the records office in Lowestoft well (I live locally in the area)

That makes us near neighbours then. Did you know the town hall have a VC in their vaults? Skipper Crisp. Also, on the side of the hospital at Alexandra Road their is a memorial to the dead of the Great War. Bar the headstones in the cemetery I don't know (yet!) of any other local connections to WW1 bar the Drill Hall off St Peters Street near the college.

Hi Mark,

Where I work (one of the schools in Lowestoft) we have a memorial clock and a plaque of the former pupils who lost their lives in the 1914-1918 war.

The major services Army, Navy, and RFC are all catered for on the local memorials (I have the Lowestoft Memorial list of names on my Pakefield website).

Is that the school with the plaque to the Falklands death then? Some of the teachers there taught me at the Leman. I have photographed there, but never the plaques! Just been out with the camera around Lound, Fritton and Haddiscoe this am.

It's the Denes High School, used to be known as the Lowestoft Secondary School during the great war.

I used to live in Belton, which is a village near Lound, Fritton & Haddiscoe as you must know (Sir John Mills was born and grew up in the village).

It's the Denes High School, used to be known as the Lowestoft Secondary School during the great war.

I used to live in Belton, which is a village near Lound, Fritton & Haddiscoe as you must know (Sir John Mills was born and grew up in the village).

That's the name! Yes, I know the school. I'm down Tennyson Road. I used to run the photolab at Chadds and did some pics of the teachers a couple of years ago (fell off a pyramid of chairs and tables, if you were there!!)

I was also in Belton this morning as it happens. 3 CWGC headstones - 1 Navy, 1 Trinity and 1 RAF I think from memory - didn't snap them as I was looking for emmorials - is there a roll of honour inside do you know? Sir John Mills' father was headmaster at Belton school, no?

Now, wasn't someone going to restore Pakefield memorial a while back? I remember seeing it in the journal or advertiser and phoned the ladyin question, but have heard no more. It's not in that bad a condition IMO - haddiscoe needs a damned good scrub though.

Mark

a bit off topic I know - I have done the memorial transcripts for Mutford & Wangford churchs - are these of any interest to you

All The Best

Chris

Scrap that. www.pakefield.net

Was your uncle David Mantripp a Colour Sergeant in 6 Bn Royal Anglians up at the Drill Hall on St Peter's Street?

Here's one on the memorial:

Untitled-12.jpg

I'll ask my parent's regarding Belton, as they have the village history book that was printed a few years ago.

Yes Sir John Mill's father was I believe head of the school.

I've heard nothing more regarding the Pakefield memorial, but you can see it on my website www.pakefield.net

Yes, it is a shame. Way too young. I knew him quite well and always liked and respected Dave. I skived off work to go to his funeral - having heard about it in the morning from someone else I had been in the TA with (I'd left by then). I still see Nicola and your aunt wandering around town sometimes, Nicola was a little girl when I first knew her!

Sorry Chris?- I've gone more off topic than you! I shouldn't worry about the transcripts thanks, I do the odd one now and again and send them to the Roll of Honour website, but just really wander into churchyards for a nose around when i'm bored and / or passing. I'd had to go to Fritton for someone else on here anyway, (having dropped my daughter in Haddiscoe) and came back via Belton and Lound. Would have gone to Hopton and Corton too, but was dying for the loo!!!!