Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Service Corps - Dardanelles 1915

cabar feidh

Greetings all.....and best wishes for 2006. Day 2 on GWF and most impressed with the corporate brainpower out there! I would be most grateful if anyone with a knowledge of the ASC could spare me a few brain cells - here we go.

Day 1 - yesterday. I was aware that my Great Uncle Alexander Cameron (a blacksmith from Cawdor) was a "farrier in a cavalry regiment and served in the Dardanelles". Little else. I joined the GWF and scanned several posts.

Day 2 - today.

I now have a medal index card showing 1836 Dvr - S/Sth Alexander Cameron ASC(T) and on the same card T4/246896 S/Sth Alexander Cameron ASC. Entitled to 15 Star, BWM and BVM. Entered Egypt (3) 8/5/15. (looks like) demobbed 23/7/19.

I have picked up a lot of discussion regarding S/Sth (Shoeing Smith) and Farrier and conclude the senior appointment is Farrier.

I conclude Great Uncle Sandy was possibly in the Dardanelles as Egypt (Area 3) was this theatre.

I understand he was originally TA (ASC(T)) and scooped up into the T4 (some posts said T4 was a driver designation - the majority as it relates to Kitchener Army mounted units)

Truly amazing progress and thanks to all those anonymous contributors. Without sounding greedy where can I go next? How could I research a possible unit or "train" he was in? I am aware that the Highland Mounted Brigade (including his geographical local unit - the town of Nairn's Scottish Horse Coy) went dismounted (as did every other mounted unit it seems) Mules (possibly) to Gallipoli?.....but the horses left in Egypt?.....and by connection the Farriers and Shoeing Smiths?

Regardless - many thanks to you all.

Some day I aspire to be contributing rather than benefitting from GWF.

Ian Cameron