Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Dragoon Guards - Regiment/service number

Guest zorax62

I have just started researching the military history of my Grandfather who served with The Kings Dragoon Guards between1914-1920. There is one thing that I've come across that is confusing me a little and I would be grateful if somebody could shed some light on this.

On his medals and medal card, it shows a regiment number of 1369. However, his "dogtag" has the number G/3084. Does anybody know why there is a difference beween these two numbers?

Thanks in advance.

Zorax

I have just started researching the military history of my Grandfather who served with The Kings Dragoon Guards between1914-1920. There is one thing that I've come across that is confusing me a little and I would be grateful if somebody could shed some light on this.

On his medals and medal card, it shows a regiment number of 1369. However, his "dogtag" has the number G/3084. Does anybody know why there is a difference beween these two numbers?

Thanks in advance.

Zorax

Private Zorax, Greetings from Private (but a couple of hours senior it appears) Cabar Feidh.

I did a similar query last night using "number prefix" in the search bar and got the result I was after - there's a lot of info in the archive - give it a whirl. Not the simplest of subjects but my prefix was based on two similar number sequences and I eventually got the jist - sadly mine was ASC based so you have to get digging yourself I'm afraid. Good luck.......but if not I'm sure some of the "Brass" will help you out when they've finished dinner.

Regards.

I would hazard a guess that the Dogtag relates to someone else,if you enter the number G/3084 into the MiC search form there are 4 Men listed,there is a Man with the same surname [as the Dragoon 1369] in the RAMC with the number 3084,without prefix.

I would hazard a guess that the Dogtag relates to someone else,if you enter the number G/3084 into the MiC search form there are 4 Men listed,there is a Man with the same surname [as the Dragoon 1369] in the RAMC with the number 3084,without prefix.

Hi, Thanks for your replies.

My initial thoughts were that the Dogtag relates to someone else but when I checked, it does have the correct name on it.

Edited by zorax62