Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Card

Dave too

Hi,

I am looking to learn about the info a a medal card.

I understand some of it but not all.

Heres what I know

Name Bertram Eldridge

Corps 13 SouthDown Royal Sussex regiment.

Rank Private

Reg No SD/5037 the SD stands for southdown

Medals are Victory and British was Medal

Can anyone tell me anything else about this card.

Especially what all the letters and numbers mean in the medal and roll section please.

Thanks in advance.

Regards Dave

:rolleyes:post-9442-1136294290.jpg

A few more questions.

Why on the medal card are there no dates at the bottom? This would have been very interesting info for me if it had had them.

He was transferred to the sussex Yeomanry why is there no mention of this. Other cards seem to list transfers?

In the Corps section does it always list the original Corps they joined.

Say someone was transferred, shortly after being called up. and spent most of there time in another Reg would there card definitely be listed under the original regiment.

Thanks

Regards Dave

In general the cards dont show either theatre or date of entry unless there was a star awarded, no idea why. If your man joined the yeomanry he may have done so after the cutoff that the medal cards cover. As far as Im aware if someone jioined a regiment or corps and transfered its mentioned on either a single or multiple cards, the medals awarded are in general to the original regiment/corps. Gareth

Especially what all the letters and numbers mean in the medal and roll section please.

post-9442-1136294290.jpg

These Codes refer to the Medal roll page that his medals were issued from,the cards,originally being a tool for the Medal office Clerks to find the rolls from.[These are held @ the NA though not on line]

With regard to him being in the Yeomanry,this could have been pre 1914 & he re enlisted into the SD Bn in the hope of getting to the front Sooner/Later,or he may have been posted to the 13th Royal Sussex before embarkation & having served with them prior to going overseas his Yeomanry Involvement would not necessarily have been indexed.