Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Blackader

Terry_Reeves

I did consider posting this on the Strange Experiences thread, but chickened out lest I got bombarded with furious e-mails.

This is a picture of Brigadier General CG Blackader DSO (centre) - only one d - formerly CO 2nd Leicesters and later Major General. He died in 1918 after contracting rabies. Does anyone notice a passing resemblance to another high ranking officer in the series of the same name?

post-8-1062003581.jpg

I bet they didnt know that when they cast the characters and the make up. it is a bit uncanny.

"Right up your alley Blackadder"

Arm.

Also what the hell is Charlie chaplin doing sitting next to him?

Arm.

and again sorry,

Was he a direct descendent of the blackadder from Marlboroughs wars and the crown jewels thingy?

Arm.

Stuart

I was trying to be serious! Anyway, officers were allowed to put knitting needles up their noses. If OR's did it, it would have interfered with firing their rifles.

Terry Reeves

There is but one answer.... "Wibble..."

"That was a particularly sharp, piece of mango, wasn't it, Dougie?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/blackadder.shtml

Re-listen to last Saturday's Blackadder at 20 documentary.

The last 5 mins or so goes into Blackadder goes forth and is really interesting.

Blackadder:

What's on the menu?

Baldrick:

Rat: sautee or fricasee.

Blackadder:

Oh, the agony of choice. Sauteed involves...?

Baldrick:

Well, first you take a freshly shaven rat and marinate it in a mud puddle for a while.

Blackadder:

Mmm, for how long?

Baldrick:

Til it's drowned.

I'd forgotten just how funny those exchanges between the two B's were !

I think General Melchett - "madder than a mad thing on mad pills" - would have been a candidate for death by rabies as well - or perhaps just a carrier !

Charlie Chaplin?

George: Chaplin is a genius.

Blackadder: He certainly is a genius, George. He invented a way of getting paid a million dollars a year for wearing a pair of stupid trousers

(P.S: I've got the full scripts. Should I advertise this fact in the document repository?)

I have managed to enhance the man sitting next to him with surprising results

post-8-1062160698.jpg

At the risk of getting this discussion back to the original thread :P how did Brigadier General CG Blackader contract rabies ?

Peter ;)

He was bitten by a dog whilst commanding 38th Division in 1918. He resigned his command in June 1918 to undergo "Pasteur treatment", which I understand was a standard treatment of the time, but continued serving as GOC Southern District, Ireland. He died on 2nd April 1921 at Millbank Hospital, London, in great pain.

Terry Reeves