Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MATTY AND FRANCIS

Ken Devitt

A few weeks ago I posted a topic relating to additions made to the MIC of Matthew McGoona ASC, with little success. I was doing so for his grandson with whom I am familiar but who knew almost nothing about his grandfather's army career.

Over the Christmas I was reading a copy of Anthem for Doomed Youth (Twelve Soldier Poets of the First World War) which a friend had given me. While reading the section on Francis Ledwidge I was amazed to see a letter written by the poet to his dear friend Matty McGoona; the same man whose MIC I was looking up. Neither I nor his grandson were aware of the friendship between the two men.

Thought you might be interested in this little anecdote.

Happy New Year to all,

Ken

Doc2.doc

Congratulations Ken. Research is a liitle like venturing out across a desert. You slog around in a vast expanse seemingly getting nowhere, when all of a sudden you find an oasis.

Have you managed to find out more about Matty, such as his ASC company?

Hello Kate,

Thanks for the compliment but it was a pure fluke that the letter was included in the book. The only other information I have on Matty is his MIC and the little I know about him from his grandson who unfortunately is not very intersted in his past even though he served with the Dragoons himself.

I'll try and attach the MIC to this reply in the hope that you or others can shed some further light on him.

Kind regards,

Ken