Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Derby Men Armbands

Cynthia

It is good to be back on the Forum after a few weeks of taking care of my father, who passed away last week. I hadn't much chance to think about the Forum or the Great War, but at his funeral the priest who conducted the Mass had been to Verdun and we did talk about it quite a bit afterwards! Knowing my father, he would have been very glad to see life going on normally.

But back to the topic: I had read several conflicting descriptions of the armbands given to Derby men when they attested. Some said they were dark blue with red crowns, others with gold crowns on a red background. I have never seen a photograph of one of these armbands, and could not find a photo anywhere, either. Do any of the Pals have one of these in your collections, and could you post a photo to the Forum? I am very interested in seeing what they actually looked like.

I wonder if they did help to quell some of the 'bullying' that young men experienced in civvy clothes. How visible was this armband?

Thanks, and again, it is good to be back.

Cynthia

I wonder if they did help to quell some of the 'bullying' that young men experienced in civvy clothes.  How visible was this armband?

Cynthia,

Sincere condolences, having lost my own father in May I can imagine some of your feelings.

I have a brass lapel badge that I assume was to serve a similar purpose to the Derby armband. It is one inch in diameter with a 13mm dia. central area showing a crown, this area surrounded by a 4mm wide band in dark blue enamel with the words “ON WAR SERVICE 1914”

This would presumably not be visible from any distance, certainly not as visible as an armband.

Roy.

Dear Dave and Roy,

Well, I should have known Chris would have this topic covered! However, since you all know how old I am now (??!!), I found it difficult to see the detail in the picture. I tried to double click on it, thinking it was a thumbnail, but could not enlarge it. It was still a little difficult for me to see it -- and they told me I don't need bifocals - yet!

Thank you, Roy, for your condolences. The Forum was something that I really missed and spent a good deal of time the last few days catching up on all the topics. I had actually written down my question about the Derby armband about two weeks ago, but never got to post it as things took a turn for the worse.

Not being an EBay shopper, do Derby armbands come up for sale and do people collect them?

Cynthia

Roy, your badge is one given to people employed in essential war work as a visual explanation of why they were still walking around in "civvies."

Tom

Roy, your badge is one given to people employed in essential war work as a visual explanation of why they were still walking around in "civvies."

Tom

Thanks Tom,

I had assumed that would have been the case.

Roy