Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

G Grandads medal card

Guest bigtoddy

Guest bigtoddy

could some one please tell me what the info is on the card

also just as i was about to post this message i noticed on the card it says

west & cumb it take it he served in the Cumberland and Westmoreland Battalion but the info i got from the archives says Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment could this just be an error.

many thanks bigtoddy

the discripition from the national archives site says

National Archives - Family History: WW1 Campaign Medals

Description

Medal card of Todhunter, Thompson

Corps Regiment No Rank

Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment 2939 Private

Border Regiment 260386 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/20links to the Catalogue

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related

bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Thompson J - Ward H H

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

post-10027-1136249607.jpg

Edited by bigtoddy

Hello Bigtoddy

Without seeing the card itself it is very difficult to really pass comment. Can you post an image?

Andy

If the card itself says one thing and the transcription for the index says another then you should nearly always be using the Card's information.

In this case the two numbers are consistent with Territorial Force (TF) numbers "before" and "after" the Territorial renumbering in early 1917.

If you search the MICs using just "Border" for the Corps and "2938" as the number you get Henry E Stout Cumberland & Westmoreland Yeomanry and 260379 Border Reg't and with "2940" the man is John Strong renumbered to 260322 in the same sort of sequence as Thompson Todhunter. 2941 is Frederick H Stout later 260380 Border Regiment.

It seems that these men went overseas as Yeomanry men (the Territorial version of cavalry) and by 1917 had moved to a Territorial battalion of the Border Regiment.

These number realloactions in 1917 belong to the 5th Battalion of the Border Regiment, prbably the "1st 5th" (1/5th) Battalion in 50th, 66th and 32nd Divisions at various times.

http://www.1914-1918.net/CAVALRY/wmld.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/border.htm

The Yeomanry page also states that some men where transferred in 1917 from the 1/1st C&W Yeomanry to the 7th Border Regiment. However, the later TF number would suggest to me that these were not those men.

He was entitled to the Victory Medal and British War Medals (campaign medals) which means he initially went overseas, probably with the C&W Yeomanry, after 1-1-1916.

The numbers and letters next to those medals are references to the Medal rolls, stored at the National Archives at Kew, which should give details of the specific battalions in which he served.

Since he was renumbered in the TF he would still have been serving as at 1-3-1917.

Steve.

Guest bigtoddy

i dont have any medals for him "would be nice to get them" will have to speak to my grandad about them.

if i go to the local achives will i be able to find any more info on him there

thanks for the help

bigtoddy