Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Baseball Competitions

Neil Burns

Hi all,

I was going through the 16th CEF's War Diary and there are regular updates on the status of the 16th's Baseball team as well as results from Officers vs. NCOs games etc.

and there is no mention of any other specific sports team. There are generic "Afternoon devoted to sports.." entries but only Baseball is specifically mentioned.

My question to my Canadian friends is this: was Baseball more popular in Canada during the First World War than today? Or have I unearthed just the one War Diary where it seems to pop up?

The 16th's team is even pulled out of support to participate in the 1st Canadian Division Championship! (They lost by the way)

Perhaps my perception is too Expos/Blue Jays based but I never considered Canada to be so Basebal interested.

Just curious,

Neil

PS- Please note this posting deals with Canda and Sports and never once mentions the H-word.

Mordac and I have been researching the "H" word with limited success. I think baseball would have been easier to play in the trenches/rear areas: less equipment required (bat, ball, gloves could be improvised; skates would be harder to acquire), and no need for ice.

I believe Mordac knows more about baseball itself in the early days, so will leave that to him for comments.

Peter (CFL and NHL fan)

Hi Peter,

I can understand that Baseball would be easier than the unnamed ice-based game But I would figure soccer to be more popular since they could play other Commonwealth Forces.

Thanks for your input,

Neil

(NHL, NFL, to a lesser degree MLB Fan)

Hi Guys:

Without a doubt the most popular games played in the CEF were Crown & Anchor and poker. :D

From my reading of battalion histories, memoirs, etc. the most popular sports were baseball, football (soccer), and track & field events; in that order. Both baseball and football were played on an inter battalion, inter brigade, and inter division level. There were also some Canada/USA baseball games and Canada/Commonwealth football games played.

Baseball was, and still is, a popular sport played at the amateur level in Canada. I don't have any statistics at hand, but I would imagine it would rank second to soccer as an organized summer sport. As a footnote, Larry Walker was born, raised, and played his early baseball about 15 km from where Broz and I live. Also, one of the high picks in the last MLB draft was a local boy.

As for the unnamed ice sport, I still haven't found a reference to a game being played in England or on the continent during the 1914 - 1919 period. If there were Canadians and ice present at the same time and the same place, there HAD to have been a game played.

I also haven't found reference to a lacrosse game being played in Europe during WWI. For the record, lacrosse is Canada's official national sport. Has anyone come across any information to a lacrosse game being played?

Garth

I remember years ago seeing a photograph in some publication or other with a caption describing a Canadian divisional sports meet in France in 1917-1918. It featured a large ice rink (no boards!), with a game going on, watched by a large crowd of soldiers. (I hope my memory is not playing tricks with me!).

Unfortunately I cannot provide a reference, and a quick search through the National Archives' index database of photographs did not come up with any likely sources.

This cannot have happened regularly; there is so little real weather in that part of the world that even in January one could not count on being able to freeze water.

Garth of course Larry Walker is one of the best hitters in the game. Eric Gagne, a French Canadian is one of the two best closers in the game. Ferguson ( my mother's name) Jenkins is one of the best pitchers of all time and is in the Hall of Fame with 284 wins, most with Chicago Cubs but also played with Toronto. An American player with Montreal, Gary Carter, was inducted into the HOF this year the first Expo there though Andre Dawson, one of my all time favorites and an Expo should be selected.

The only thing I do not like about Canadian baseball is two national anthems before the game. One is too many, it becomes rote after so many times.

Hi All,

Paul I've never had a problem with the two anthems I think it's a nice show of respect (recent behavior on both sides of the border during NHL games in the last year or so not withstanding)

I always enjoy hearing the Canadian anthem although two anthems does seem to be too much to ask the players to sit still for :angry:

Take care,

Neil

I hope my memory is not playing tricks with me!).

Unfortunately I cannot provide a reference, and a quick search through the National Archives' index database of photographs did not come up with any likely sources.

This is exactly what me and Mordac want to see!!! I have gone through the photo archives pretty thoroughly and nothing indicates any hockey played in France.

The winter of 16/17 was very bad; I'm sure water would have frozen . . .

That's why I wish we could get a website for weather conditions for the months of interest (see other thread). :angry:

Peter

You dont miss it till ya haven't got it

You can never have too many national anthems playing, in Britian we dont play it enough and its now at the point where due respect is not shown when it is played. We have become a nation with no national pride unless its beating the hell out of someone at a soccer match or vomitting and sex orgies in the med.

off soap box,

Arm.

Hi Peter & Garth,

Home now and checking "Ultimate H-" by Weir, Chapman Weir. Unfortunately no photo of CEF hockey game but they do mention the 228th Battalion which was apparently full of professionals and toured around Canada beating everyone.

According to Love the 228th became the 6th Canadian Railway Troops and apparently served in France.

The CEF had to have had these pros playing someone in France!

Hi Arm,

I've spoken many times to English friends of mine who are envious of the display of the US flag here in America. It's unfortunate that to many in England the Union Jack has become considered a symbol of 'fringe' political groups and not the symbol of all the folks in the UK.

Take care,

Neil

I have the following (didn't record source):

"While WWI was raging in 1916, some of the best hockey players in Canada opted to play for the NHA's 228th Battalion. Based out of North Bay Ontario, the Northern Fusiliers had the distinction of being the only military team to ever play in a professional league. They also created a fashion first by wearing Khaki uniforms After only a handful of games they were sent overseas in February of 1917."

It is the period of 17/18 that we want to know about . . . Oh for a grainy December photo of some frozen bog in Flanders, with toqued Habs battling the gritty Leafs, whilst stalwart Lewis Gun teams scan the horizon nervously for Fritz.

hi Peter,

The fusiliers were apparently 6-4 before being called overseas.

If there is such a photo I can't believe it hasn't been used more. THink about it CEF,France Hockey on a Frozen Pond......it's 80 degrees here in Jersey and I just got a chill!

As I'm sure you guys know the CHicago Blackhawks logo was the emblem of the owners Field Artillery unit in World War I.

Take care,

Neil

PS- No Leafs in WWI Toronto Blueshirts or St.Pats maybe?