Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ribchester's Dead.

Matthew

Ribchester is a small mill village in the Ribble Valley north of Blackburn in Lancashire. For a while now I've been thinking of producing a small booklet giving as much information as I can find about those commemorated on the various memorials in the Village. Its going to take me some time because I have lots else on my plate but I'm anxious to start collecting information before familiy memories fade.

This post is to ask two favours: firstly for any advice on a such a venture and secondly to ask if someone who has the 'Soldiers Died' CD wouldn't mind doing some searches for me. In respect of the latter I expect there to be between twenty and thirty names in total but I wouldn't propose to deal with them all in one go!

As someone in the same neck of the woods who is also in the midst of researching local war dead , I'm happy to do some look-ups. Please e-mail me off forum.

As someone in the same neck of the woods who is also in the midst of researching local war dead , I'm happy to do some look-ups. Please e-mail me off forum.

If you have any WW2 RAF dead, try www.rafcommands.com

MC,

Thanks, I do have at least one RAF casualty so that'll be useful.

M

If there are any dead related to the Passchendaele Campaign (12 July 1917-15 November 1917), please ask. I'd be happy to help.

Kind regards,

Jan

Matthew.

Last year (meaning 2004!) I did a little work for somebody who was doing something similar for the memorial in St.Wilfred's church. I got quite a bit of detail for them regarding the names, but don't know if anything came of it (it hadn't in April 2005 when I last visited St.Wilf's anyway!). If you can't find this publication (if it exists!), do you want me to see if I still have the details?

dave.

Matthew

Nice idea - I done a quick search on SDGW for any Born or enlisted or Resided in Ribchester.

Came up with the following 14.

Probably some more out there with all the SDGW spelling errors etc.

Remember this does not include any officers.

If you need any more lookups or a print out of the 14 send me a mail of pm.

Good luck but remeber it's highly addictive :D

Glyn

post-5500-1136327632.jpg

Guys,

Thanks for your kindness.

Dave: You may have done something for the Rector of St Wilfrid's (John Francis). He produces a very high quality service booklet for Remembrance Sunday each year and one of them (it may have been 2004s) contained details of the Great War dead commemorated in St Wilfrid's. I keep copies of these booklets and would plan to use it. If you wouldn't mind checking I'd appreciate it because I don't want to duplicate something that maybe someone else is doing.

Ken: My first source will be the Village. I plan to put an article in the local papers firstly followed by a mail drop/poster campaign in the Village. Many of the family names on the memorials are still heavily represented in the Village so I hope to be able to focus my researches with them. Thereafter I'd expect to pursue the PRO, local newpapers for obituaries, the CWGC etc.

Glyn: Thanks for this; I recognise many of the names from the Saint Wilfrid's memorial tablet. I think that the first thing I need to do is put some effort into ensuring that I capture all the names; it would be a terrible shame to publish and then someone tell me that I missed great uncle Albert!

Yours

Matthew

Matthew.

i'll have a look for you.

Incidentally, I work with a relative of Sgt James Pinder and have his brother's(?) war diary in which "Jim" gets a couple of mentions. One of his relatives has done a lot of research on him.

Dave.

Nice idea Matthew, good luck with your research.

Why don't you also consider publishing your efforts on the web? that will inevitably open up the fruits of your labours to a far wider audience.

Paul

Paul,

Good idea and something I will aim to do.

M