Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BEF Book

dunmore44

can anyone recommend a good illutrated book about the BEF in 1914. including maps, photographs etc

1914 By FM Sir John French of Ypres[if you can find a Copy]contemporary

or

The Mons Star by David Ascoli

or

1914 by Lyn McDonald

I'll second the Ascoli but am not so keen on L Mc. I thinkk there is a bit of a dearth of good books on the subject.

I like the 2 books contemporary books by Frederick Coleman "With the Cavalry" is one title. a bit gung ho but captures the flavour of 1914/1915.

The other thing I meant to mention is that the official history (Mil OPs France and Belgium) : Mons, The Retreat to the Seine, the Marne and the Aisne' is an excellent, detailed account of the camaign.

Jack

Keith Simpson's The Old Contemptibles: A Photographic History of the British Expeditionary Force August-December 1914 is accompanied by an excellent text, including many quotes from its members, and is hard to beat if you are looking for an introduction to the subject.

Charles M

The Mons Star by David Ascoli is my recommendation.

Rather scathing of Sir John French but generally gives credit to most commanders at various points. Certainly food for thought if read with French's own book...

Just picked up Mons - Retreat to Victory by John Terraine from the local cheap book store but yet to read it.

Steve.

"Wipers" by Tim Carew - it gave me an insight and an appreciation for the "Old Contemptibles".

In addition to those already mentioned, try also...

The Old Contemptables (The BEF 1914) by Robin Neilands

The Old Contemptables by Matthew Barthorp (osprey "elite" series)

The First Seven Divisions by Ernest Hamilton

The IWM Book of 1914 by Malcolm Brown

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Farewell Leicester Square by Anne Caffrey and the latest book on Ypres Ian Beckett's Ypres: The First Battle 1914 should be added. Wipers is I thnk both dated and in parts innacurate

• Admin

Fifteen Rounds a Minute edited by J M Craster is a fascinating book, but with poor maps.

I enjoyed 'Death of an Army' by Anthony Farrar-Hockley (Wordsworth Military Library ISBN 1 85326 698 1)

Roxy

I enjoyed 'Death of an Army' by Anthony Farrar-Hockley (Wordsworth Military Library ISBN 1 85326 698 1)

Roxy

An excellent book on 1st Ypres that! It also happens to be one of the first factual books (with no pictures :D ) on the conflict that I ever read. Got me hooked on Flanders but was quite heavy going for an 8 year old!!!!

dave.

Just ordered a book from the local library(in a library swap) called First Ypres 1914-The Graveyard of the Old Contemptibles, by David Lomas.

I'll let you know what it's like when I get to read it.

"Wipers" by Tim Carew - it gave me an insight and an appreciation for the "Old Contemptibles".

I have "The Vanished Army" by the same author: is this the same book under a different cover? (Mine was a Corgi paperback published in 1971, originally printed in 1964. Cost me 35p, new!)

gericht suggests Rob Neillands book "The Old Contemptibles"; personally I find Neillands' generally hard-going, so might not be a first book on the subject.

gericht suggests Rob Neillands book "The Old Contemptibles"; personally I find Neillands' generally hard-going, so might not be a first book on the subject.

That's what I thought about Neillands Book too, not a first book on the subject(and I thought it was just me being confused :rolleyes: )

Farewell Leicester Square by Anne Caffrey

This is a book I hold in fond memory. It was one of those that set me on my way on the Great War.

get it, read it, love it.

Arm

That's what I thought about Neillands Book too, not a first book on the subject(and I thought it was just me being confused :rolleyes: )

Actually, Spike, I've found all the Neillands' books I've tried a bit hard-going. Waterstone's seems to be flooded with titles by Rob Neillands - I think the word prolific is an understatement.

This is a book I hold in fond memory. It was one of those that set me on my way on the Great War.

get it, read it, love it.

Arm

Sound Advice, Arm, sound advice.....

Actually, Spike, I've found all the Neillands' books I've tried a bit hard-going. Waterstone's seems to be flooded with titles by Rob Neillands - I think the word prolific is an understatement.

Steve-I'll avoid the others then (well I won't really,as with most books, Great War, I'll be too intruiged not to read them eventually B) )

Farewell Leicester Square is a superb book and the first WW1 hardback that invested in - still dip in to it from time to time.

Farewell Leicester Square by Anne Caffrey

Farewell Leicester Square is by Kate Caffrey and was published by Andre Deutsch in 1980 - and its excellent.

Riding the Retreat By Prof Richard Holmes is my favourite - if a bit Aug/Sep 14 specific.

regards

David

PS - you can always have a look at " The British Campaign in France and Flanders - 1914" By Sir Arthur Conan Doyle if you can gethold of a copy.